1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easier to cull when roosting?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Is it easier to cull when they are roosting or during the day when they are running aroun and being mean (roos ONLY)??

I am waiting on my oldest son to come cull to roos, well it is already dark (8:01 PM) and he is still not here. Hope he gets here tonight, I don't think I could put up with them for another day or two.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If I've got roosters who are mean or skittish, I grab them at night when they're roosting, put them in a cage or something til morning, then do them in.

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:I thought about that too, but not sure where I would put the cage?? I could put inside the run, but they would be in there till sometime (probably this time) tomorrow.

4. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

You prolly want to do it in the day cos when its night you cant see what you are doing unless you got lots of lights and torches ... ie you throw the knife onto the grass and cant find it or you trying to cut something but someone stands in front of the light source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by