Easiest Breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ClareScifi, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Okay, so if I were to buy some fancy hens at the fancy poultry association's auction tomorrow, what would you recommend me getting? I'd like to get the lowest maintenance, hardiest types available, both cold and heat hardy and disease resistant. I wonder which breeds would get along best with my Barred Rock and half white leghorns and Sebright bantam? Would Barred Rocks be at a fancy poultry show? I wouldn't mind another Barred Rock or two. That is such a sweet-natured breed. Baby might like some Buff Orpingtons, since he's maybe part B.O., but would they be found at a fancy poultry show? Is there a breed that would be least likely to introduce disease to my other chickens?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They don't have a list of what will be auctioned off? Check the club's website.

Impossible to give advice without knowing what breeds will be auctioned.

Disease doesn't really have anything to do with breed. Learn what symptoms look like, cross you fingers, and quarantine any new birds you bring onto your place.

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    No, I can't find a list on their web site of what is to be auctioned.

Someone recommended Araucanas to me.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Araucanas are rarer; more commonly ones around are called Easter Eggers...which are only "part" Araucanas...We <3 our EE'ers!!
    We love our Barred Rocks, Turkens (*Ugly but FABULOUSLY GREAT egg producers), Black australorps, We love our brahma too!

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Bullitt,

Yes, I'd like them to be hardy and friendly, but, no, they don't have to be good layers. I don't eat eggs. I am getting them for my rooster. He needs more girlfriends, I think, and I just love the looks of chickens-- all chickens.

I think Turkens are so cute, but I want chickens that are no-fuss and easy to keep alive with basic care.

Clare.

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    There are several types of Plymouth Rock, such as Barred Plymouth Rock, White Plymouth Rock, partridge Plymouth Rock, etc. I am guessing most poultry shows would have some varieties of Plymouth Rock. I think these are all good choices.

You mentioned you have Buff Orpington. That is a friendly breed.

Those are all good layers. What do you do with all the eggs?

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the great info, Bullitt!

Today I took a bunch of hard-boiled eggs to the Preschool Sunday School class and the little kids had a blast dying them and then rolling them in colored sand.

The Bantie eggs we pickled in beet juice (hardboiled), and then we put them in ladybug, monkey, caterpillar and butterfly and bumblebee shaped plastic Easter egg holders. They passed them out to kids in other classes, saying "Have a pickled ladybug!" Or "Here's some pickled monkey brains!" When the recipient opened the container and found the pickled egg, the preschooler would yell, "April Fool's Day!"

We have a lot of fun doing this sort of thing, and the children never tire of dying eggs.

I also give eggs away and make angel food cakes to give as gifts.

Next week we'll make deviled eggs in Sunday school, sprinkle them heavily with paprika, put black cake confetti "ladybug spots" on them, and pass them out to the congregation on my ladybug-coilored-and-shaped new deviled egg tray.

9. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Very cute. For someone who does not eat eggs, you sure spend a lot of time preparing eggs. [​IMG]

Did you buy any chickens at the poultry show/auction?

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Lol, Bullitt, yes, I do.

Don't get me wrong. I love to eat eggs, but I have cholesterol concerns. I figure I can have the fun of fixing them and give them away to the kiddos, who are too young to have cholesterol worries. :>)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by