Easiest caremel I have ever made!!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by jkcove08, Oct 26, 2007.

1. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    With baking season about to go full swing I was at the farmers market the other day and bought some wonderful apples. After eating one I thought that it would be great to have that dipping carmel but it is sooo expensive at the stored. I then went on a hunt for a recipe to make my own. In the back of my favorite cook book I found this neat little recipe for carmel. I couldnt believe that it would be this simple but I just tried it and amazingly it worked!!!! It is so smooth and creamy and has the best carmel flavor to it. Here is the recipe, I know you wont think that it will work but it does. TRUST ME!!!!!!

1 can sweatened condensed milk!
    Take the lable off the can and then place the UNOPENED can in a large pot. Cover with cool water and place on the stove. Bring the water to a boil and keep boiling it for 3 hours. Check often to make sure that it is totally submerged in the water. (I think if it is not it might explode.) I layed my can on its side so I had more room, it didnt effect it at all. After boiling for 3 hours drain of water and let it cool to room temp. Open the can and pour into a container. You will have to use a spatula to get it all out. stir until it is totally smooth. You can add nuts if you would like.

This even turned from white to that nice caremel brown color. Like I said it does truely work and will make it much easier for making candies this christmas. ENJOY!!!! Jenn

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    That's how my mom gets the carmel for her carmel-banana pies. Yummy!!!

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    does it get thicker than the sweetened milk in the can normally is?

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Interesting. Caramel isn't very hard to make the old fashioned way either.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I think it does, it's been awhile since I've witnessed it. It's definitely not free liquid, there's some consistency there.

Edited because I can't spell sometimes...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
  6. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    It does get thick, actually when I opened the can and went to pour it into the bowl it didnt move. I shook the can a few times and then finally got the spatula out. It reminds me of cream of mushroom soup when trying to get it out. I dont think it will ever harden solid but that it fine. I am thinking of making more and adding chopped pecans, put spoonfuls onto a waxpaper lined cookie sheet and puting them in the freezer. Then I can melt some milk chocolate chips and dip after they are frozen. Then the chocolate will set up and the carmel will thaw out and I will have those yummy turtles!!! I think this would work great drizzled over hot apple pie too. The only reason I think this is the easiest way to make it is because you dont have to wash any pots after making it. Just clean the container that you store it in, unless of course you make more before the first is gone and just add it ..lol I hope everyone enjoys. Jenn

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow, that is so strange! I will have to remember this when I go home. I'll have to do some experimentation!

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Jenn, I think that is a great idea on the turtles. Yum! I just don't like the three hour on top the stove part...my luck...I will let the water dry out and it will explode all over my kitchen! [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Then make the traditional caramel. It is not hard at all.

1 cup of sugar
    6 tbsp butter
    1/2 cup heavy whipping cream - (I bet it would be awesome with the cream you skim from that raw milk you have been getting, OzarkHen!)

Put the sugar in a heavy HEAVY sauce pan. Melt the sugar on high heat. Wisk it without stopping. As soon as it becomes liquid add the butter and keep on wisking until all the butter is melted. Take the pan off the heat. Pour in the cream. Wisk. Wisk. Wisk.

Now when you add the butter the sugar liquid will foam up. It will also foam when you add the cream. Use a deeppot for this reason.

It should be smooth, and creamy and a dark caramel color. As it cools pour it into a canning jar and set it aside to cool to room temp.

You can store it in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. Warm it up before you serve it.

Make sure you have everything ready and near your hands before you start. This is a very quick process once the sugar starts to melts.

The can of sweetened condensed milk is exactly that as above. Super sweetened milk. Boiling the can cooks the sugars and makes the caramel.

10. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I really don't mean to be snarky here, but cleaning a pot after making caramel is as easy as rinsing it with boiling water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by