1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easiest Color of Ameraucana to Breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Coopacabana, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    What's the easiest color of Ameraucana to breed? Does one tend to have more blue-ish eggs, lay better, or have a friendlier personality?

2. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    I do not have alot of experience with americaunas, but my understanding is that their plummage is varied.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Stick to the solid colors, Black or White probably being the easiest.

I've also read that Blacks have some of the best egg color.

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    There are 8 color varieties of Ameraucanas accepted by the APA, Black, Blue, White, Buff, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Silver and Brown Red. There is also a Lavender project in the works.

If your birds are not one of the colors mentioned above then they are not an Ameraucana, they are more likely Easter Eggers.

Also, you do not spell Ameraucana with an i.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It actually isn't varied, you're thinking of Easter Eggers.

The easiest to breed are Blues or Blacks.

The best egg color typically comes from Wheatens and Blue Wheatens.

The best temperament is found in any color but Silvers and I really don't know about Brown-Reds.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I would say Black would be the easiest followed closely by White. With Blue proper lacing isn't always easy to get.

7. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    Thanks! Lots of great answers. Is the wheaten's pattern more difficult than the blue's lacing?

8. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    I have yet another question: how can the APA accept blue and not splash? What are you supposed to do with the splashes? Just use them for breeding? Have an awful time trying to rehome 25% of your hatch, every hatch? [​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    In Ameraucanas, yes, Wheaten is pretty difficult in especially females. Blue in Ameraucanas is as difficult for a good show quality bird as it is in any other breed except Andalusians.

As for Splash, it isn't recognized in any LF Fowl to the APA because you cannot set a standard for it, nor breed it to follow a certain pattern. So, Splashes yes can be rehomed to people who just want layers but they're also good for lightening blues or even getting a 100% blue hatch. Plus if you have a better splash than blue or black, type wise (which is very important) you can still use it.

Just because you can't show and win with a bird doesn't mean it is useless. Probably more than half the population of Araucanas in the US cannot be shown because of their lack of tufts, but they're still very very useful breeding birds. [​IMG]

10. Coopacabana

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    Thanks! I do like the splash color. I think I came across a little negative there in the heat of discovering that splash is not recognized. [​IMG] they are certainly not useless! Perhaps I will start with the black, then move on to blue/splash. I love the green iridecence on the blacks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by