easiest color to sex?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

what is the easiest Coturnix color to sex?

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Wild pattern browns (Any Size) are easiest to color sex. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, so whats the list down?
    Wild,
    what else?

What is a Normal color quail???

4. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:For coturnix, there are no "NORMAL" colors. Different colors pop up all the time. If you are a purist, then Wild pattern browns are the norm.
    There are 2 basic patterns, the wild pattern, and Rosetta, Range, or what ever you call it pattern. Wilds can be more easily color sexed, the Rosetta pattern defies color sexing....in most cases. You also have whites....they are non-color sex able no matter the pattern they sprang from.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wild/ Brown
    Golden
    Fawns
    Can All Be Color Sexed... Anything In The White Or Range Colors Grab Some Beer And A Lawn Chair

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:For coturnix, there are no "NORMAL" colors. Different colors pop up all the time. If you are a purist, then Wild pattern browns are the norm.
    There are 2 basic patterns, the wild pattern, and Rosetta, Range, or what ever you call it pattern. Wilds can be more easily color sexed, the Rosetta pattern defies color sexing....in most cases. You also have whites....they are non-color sex able no matter the pattern they sprang from.

Rosetta is a type of Range, the grouping of that variety would be Range (dark range, british range, etc.)

7. joe125

Sep 20, 2010

Rosetta is a type of Range, the grouping of that variety would be Range (dark range, british range, etc.)

Thanks for the clarification Shelly! No matter what they are called, I consider them non-color sex-able, one of the 2 different patterns....one color sex-able, the other not.

I still think wild pattern browns are the best bet for novice people to raise...as far as easy color sexing is concerned. Just my opinion [​IMG]

8. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    agreed. i've been getting rid of my tibetans and tuxedos. it's too hard to vent sex.

9. CoCkYone88

CoCkYone88 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Yea the tibetans are a deffinite sit around drinking cold beer kind of bird if you ain't in to the whole vent sexin thing. Just so happens I'm that kinda guy so I will continue to take em off ya hands as I get the space bantamboy.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The Range varieties are the ones that sell the best around here. Luckily, most people don't care what sex they are [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by