Easiest eggs to hatch? With a photo.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cattbird, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cattbird

cattbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Is there such a thing?

I'm on my third go (lucky!) of trying to hatch miniature Silkies which I understand are a rare breed here and un heard of it U.S?

I think if a rarer breed of chickens eggs are harder to hatch I may try something else next time...

Or maybe the size has something to do with it? These eggs are so tiny! Ill try and get a pic.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My banty eggs have always been easy to incubate and the chicks hatch great everytime. Mutt eggs always seem to be good growing, as long as theyre fertile. a lot of people would say they are more hardy that purebreeds.... which is understandable since mutt DOGS always have less problems than purebreds & live longer most times too.

My muscovy eggs have always been easy to hatch too.

ETA: i've never had any problem hatching silkie eggs either.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. hungryhensfarm

hungryhensfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Alabama
    I really hope someone can answer that because I'd like to know as well. I'm planning to get a few silkies this spring or summer. My understanding is that silkie hens brood very well and hatch well also. I also understand that silkies will hatch eggs collected from larger breeds as well. That would be great!

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

When i had silkies, last year, my hens sat constantly and hatched A LOT of large eggs for me. theyre wonderful mothers too, but so are regular cochin bantams. i have a hen that abandoned her eggs to adopt two 1month old chicks. she's had them for a couple weeks and still broods them at night [​IMG]

im so glad she finally broke broody though. she sat about 4-5 times this year.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I can tell you that Serama eggs are difficult to hatch. Maybe its the small size [​IMG]

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Serama eggs are the worst! [​IMG] i really tried to hatch some early this year, put 2 in the bator and 4 under my broody hen. they had started to develope and then *POOF* went south!! they all died, i was devistated. i think ill just buy chicks next time.

7. cattbird

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Are Sarama eggs the tiny ones? If so maybe that'd tie in with what i'm finding. I've not tried to incubate normal banty Silkie eggs before only these miniatures. Also I have no Mummy and am doing it by incubator.

I took a pic of a mini Silkie egg next to a normal bantam egg from a fridge so you can see just how tiny they are.

Maybe the chick is getting too big near the end and can't turn around to pip?

[​IMG]

8. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

hmm, i don't know but i still have 2 duck eggs survive from 5, 3 were lost. [​IMG]

here chicken all same, just called it "village chicken". [​IMG]

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That brown egg looks like a normal, standard sized chicken egg (like the ones form the store). If it is then your silkie egg SHOULD be that small, their eggs are pretty small, but Serama eggs are itty bitty! About the size of a quarter a lot of times.

I've never heard of mini silkies? i dont think they get much smaller than the bantam size they already are. Maybe you just have a pullet egg, from a hen that just started laying?

SERAMA EGGS:
    [​IMG]

Heres a good "egg size chart"

[​IMG]

10. cattbird

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Hmm, Well I have never tried to hatch a normal sized Silkie egg, just miniatures. I'm intrigued now as to whether mine are any smaller than bantam sized...

Do you (in the U.S) have two different sizes of Silkies.. bantam and large fowl?

Could anyone tell me how big a quater is?

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by