Easiest, Foolproof way to get rid of chicken mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get rid of chicken mites? I don't have much energy for dealing with this. I'm thinking a chemical treatment. I'd prefer natural, but I think I have the energy for a chemical treatment, only. All suggestions will be appreciated. Permethrin? Wood ash? What would you recommend?

2. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    And is there anywhere I can buy nice, clean wood ash? Once I got some from a friend but it had nasty stuff in it, like rolled up aluminum foil. Do any stores sell wood ash?

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a BBQ? If so get a bag or two of charcoal and make your own...

4. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    It's not approved in chickens you will be eating the eggs or meat from. But for my sultans I had to use fipronil (active ingredient) dog spot treatment. Knocked the mites out in one dose and I never had to retreat. I was pretty desperate though and had tried 7dust, wood ash, ivermectin and other things. Some of the research I did on it said fertility might suffer but I did not see that problem. I don't eat the eggs or meat since my chickens are ornamental, but it's a spot treatment effective for months I would highly suggest not eating the eggs for that period of time.

Just in case you go this route, I used the treatment for the largest dog I could find. I put 3 drops on my 6lb sultans and 2 drops on d'uccle bantams. I parted the feathers at the upper neck and applied the drops to the skin there. The chickens had no side effects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by