Easiest, Most Humane Method to Cull (Euthanize)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvinrunnin, Jun 24, 2011.

1. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    I tried to search, but so many threads have the word "cull" in them that I got an inordinate number of results, so I apologize in advance.

When you have to do the deed, what's the best way to do it?? I don't know if I can do it, but know I will have to eventually and need it to be quick and easy. Feel free to refer me to another link if you know it.
    Thanks!!

PS: I'd like to keep this as drama free as possible so it won't get deleted. I'm only wanting to know how to euthanize if I have a traumatic injury or debilitating illness.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    OG Anomaly likes this.
  2. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Watching... I have a silkie Im debating on culling now but dont know how or when (or if ) I should...

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quick and easy and the least painful to the chicken is to chop off their head. I cover their head when I do it so they don't look at me. I don't want the method to take minutes, I want it immediate. It hurts me, but its the best for the chicken.

OG Anomaly likes this.
  4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    If you cant bare to do it call a neighbor or 2 and tell them you got free chicken for the takin [​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:X2............ but I could realy care less where the chicken is looking, if at me or whatever, it will be over before they can figure it out. The fastest and best way is the fastest and best way for the human to get the deed done, it works best for all involved.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Cervical dislocation is the quickest way for the bird. Scissors work best for chicks.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know how to do cervical dislocation, I mean, I don't know what strength to use, and I don't want to screw up.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Cervical dislocation is just severing the cervical spine (neck). You can use an ax, sharp shears, or do it manually (I am too squeamish to use my hands). How old is your chicken?

Edited to say: I mistook you for the OP. Your way is also considered cervical dislocation.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    OG Anomaly likes this.
  9. luvinrunnin

May 12, 2011
    Quote:I have one that has what I was told is a "summer cold." He's still sneezing and now I'm worried the rest of them will get it too. I have tylan 50. I suppose I could try that and see if it clears it up??? Not sure of dosage so will have to search. I am scared to death that I will keep some kind of CRD going on. I only have 4 others in with him, but have another coop with 7 SLW, and am wanting to get more Seramas, but they aren't cheap and I don't want to contaminate them. The affected one is a serama and is in with my only other Seramas. Not sure what to do.

10. luvinrunnin

May 12, 2011
    Quote:Cervical dislocation is just severing the cervical spine (neck). You can use an ax, sharp shears, or do it manually (I am too squeamish to use my hands). How old is your chicken?

Edited to say: I mistook you for the OP. Your way is also considered cervical dislocation.

I guess I'll need to know for all ages. I have 5 Seramas, and 7 SLW, but am wanting to get some BLRW and some Marans as well at some point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by