Easiest way to candle eggs? Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tororider, May 16, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I have 33 eggs in the incubator only day 2 but I am going to want to candle on Day 10. What is the easiest way to candle eggs? I think I know what to look for, but what is the easiest way to set up a candler? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

2. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I have a maglite. I hold it vertically and hold the egg on top with my fingers cupped around the egg. That seems pretty simple to me. I don't think I need an official candler.

3. HeatherInBama

HeatherInBama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2007
    North Alabama
    how you set up your candler depends on your light source. are you starting with a lamp or a flashlight?

4. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Quote:I will start with whatever makes it easiest. If getting another maglite that I can use for hunting makes it easiest I can use it as a dual purpose. How big a maglite?

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I bough a cool light candler. It was not very expensive and plugs in, no batteries. If you just want to see a little and the eggs are in a turner,just shine it through the to of the egg. Yuo should be able to see something.I tried the flash light way,but got frustrated. The candler is great.

6. HeatherInBama

Aug 19, 2007
    North Alabama
    an easy way is to put a metal coffee can over a white bulb. use a can with a dark plastic lid. cut a 1 inch round hole in the center of the plastic lid and use a can opener to cut out the bottom. put the can over the light and put your egg on the hole in the top.

7. HeatherInBama

Aug 19, 2007
    North Alabama
    if you have or can get one of those mini mag lights that's about 1 inch in diameter, wrap a piece of cardboard around the end so you have a tube about 2 inches out from the bulb. black electrical tape works to tape the tube to the flashlight and keep light from escaping.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    A MagLite is about dead easy.

I prefer purpose designed tools, so use a stand alone candler that I made.

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I actually rigged a few freebie boxes from the post, cut a hole in the top and side. Then slide one of DH's corded work lights with a 75 watt bulb inside. I can see right threw the eggs perfectly, although I did purchase a flashlight. I found too much light escaping, so I'm glad I read this thread that suggests taping cardboard to the end. That might work! [​IMG]

Good luck candling! There's nothing like seeing those little chickies swimming around in their eggs, it's like watching an ultrasound on your baby all over again but with a 'fur baby'. [​IMG]

10. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I read somewhere here that somebody taped the cardboard roll from toilet paper to a flash light. That seems like a good idea too. I have green eggs and my flashlight isn't bright enough to see in them, so I got a 80 lumens flashlight the size of a mini mag light that works great. And I can just hold the egg in my hand with the light against it. Very easy, and a cool dual purpose light too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by