Easiest way to Cull a chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bleenie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have a chick that has a prolapsed rectum or something seriously wrong with it's insides near it's vent, but it looks prolapsed in there. Its in a serious amount of pain and I just don't want it to suffer anymore. I have never had to cull/kill a chick this small so I want to know what the best/easiest way to do it is? I just don't want it to suffer. [​IMG] thanks for the help.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Songster

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Bleenie - I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. [​IMG] I've never had to cull a chick, but I've read posts on this site that say the easiest and quickest way is a sharp pair of shears. That's the method I believe I would use. Best of luck to you.....

3. sawmane1

sawmane1 Songster

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    we just resently had a rode island red who hatched with its leg on its back, we killed it using blunt force trama. She was instantly dead.

4. warriorchick

warriorchick In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So sorry to hear you're having to do this. I have never culled a chick, but I know that people do cull chickens by simply pulling their head off. I know it could sound gruesome, but with a chick this might be an easy enough way and you will know that she will die instantly. You will, however, have to prepare yourself I am sure.

5. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Songster

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I'm so sorry you have to do this; I have had to do this a few times, I've used a couple different methods and it is never pleasant.

My method of choice is to use a sharp kitchen knife (a stump outside serves as cutting board/chopping block) and remove the head as quickly as possible. Shears would accomplish the same feat, I just don't have any sharp enough to do the job cleanly. With this method I know the chick is instantly out of pain and no longer suffering.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think the easiest way is by pulling their heads off, might sound bad, but a day old chicks head comes off pretty easy.

7. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I have a really hard time culling a chick. Best method for me, was to put in bag and run it over. I have a much easier time proccessing adults , chicks its just hard.

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Quote:run it over! [​IMG]

I had to cull a 10 week old... used a pair of garden clippers...

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:that... that sounds really terrible [​IMG] i'm sorry, maybe it's easiest, but still....it's terrible.

10. DesertChick324

DesertChick324 In the Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Palomino Valley/Reno, NV
    sugar water makes prolaspes go back it. works for reptiles, mammals and birds. i just pull the heads off chicks. the bag/run over idea seems like it would be less traumatizing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: