Easiest way to water baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by juliejohnson805, Oct 25, 2016.

1. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    They will be in a crate. I was thinking of using a couple of the red waterers with thr red bottoms but put them on a small brick to elevate so drowning will not be a problem. Is the a better/easier way?

2. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    The brick may stop weak or small chicks the first few days, Its easy to put rocks or marbles in the water so chicks cannot climb inside it.

3. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    Thanks!

4. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    no problem

5. americanchicks

americanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Auburn, wa
    My fave way to water chicks, rabbit water bottle. I got the idea from the water container I have for the adults, just a bucket with nipples. The rabbit water bottle has worked great for me. Keeps things nice and clean and they don't keep knocking it down or get bedding in it. You may have to fill it more often or get two but I think it is worth it.

6. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Rabbit waterers are nice but I'm not sure they'd work with broodies due to the height difference. So if you don't have a broodie go ahead, just keep the waterer at the right height so the chicks can drink and you'll be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by