Easily moved/made hiding places during free ranging

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by joebryant, Jul 6, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I can't find the post where it was a few days ago, but it was in another post with a title that had nothing to do with the following idea.
    Anyway, someone (? wish I could give credit) was talking about someone else's using two pallets put together at the top (maybe with a wire) and a board across both ends to make an A-shape cover/hiding place for chickens to run to and hide under when danger's about while they're out in the open or in the woods free ranging.
    It was such a nifty idea that I thought it should be re-mentioned for those who missed the first post that was about a different subject.

2. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    these are actually very common
    If you look at pics of growers over seas, like Thailand for example, you will see these all out through the range area
    just simple little A frames
    I really don't know why you don't see more here, perhaps because you don't see a lot of real free ranging going on.

3. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Buy some pigeons to go along with those A-frames!

I kept this from an old Mother Earth News forum entry, don't have the author's name or location:

"Do your chickens have hawk problems? I have come across your solution. I recently bought a pair of geese from a wonderful woman who had every kind of bird. But what really caught my eye were the pigeons i saw flying in the trees. When i asked her about them she told me that hawks prefer pigeons over chickens because they can catch them in flight. She said that she loses one almost every day, but it doesn't matter much because they multiply like rats. She never loses a chicken. To keep pigeons all you have to do is buy a pair and keep them long enough for them to raise young on your property. Then they never leave. I assume you clip their wings or cage them till the new family is settled."

I'm going to try this one of these days...

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Raise and free fly pigeons, and your hawk population will increase exponentially. Hawks almost put me out of business with my Birmingham rollers. I have problems understanding the mentality that says it is OK to raise pigeons to be killed by the hawks. Build better pens and your birds will be safe. If you had ever stood with a champions life blood dripping through your hands after a hawk attack, you wouldn't spout such nonsense. Just my STRONG ojpinion!

5. joebryant

Settin'_Pretty :

these are actually very common
    If you look at pics of growers over seas, like Thailand for example, you will see these all out through the range area
    just simple little A frames
    I really don't know why you don't see more here, perhaps because you don't see a lot of real free ranging going on.

Hmm, I've been all over Asia, including most of Thailand, but I evidently didn't know what I was looking at because I don't recall ever having seen one before.​

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I use old fencing cut into 6 foot sections, bend them into a half circle, Mine usually have hay on them but i had moved the ones in the photo if you can see them.

[​IMG]

7. joebryant

Quote:Yeah, those wires covered with hay would be great... more natural and lighter weight to move. Any problem with the chickens getting into the hay and making holes?

ETA We who have no hay could use small tarps.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  8. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    Quote:Hmm, I've been all over Asia, including most of Thailand, but I evidently didn't know what I was looking at because I don't recall ever having seen one before.

guess it's one of those things you see everywhere until you look for it
    here is sorta what I was talking about but they are using them more for housing here

interesting vids anyway ;O)

9. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Their called tee-pees you see them on game farms.

10. joebryant

Quote:By "game farms" are you talking about where "people" keep roosters used for fighting? I've seen movies of where people have them chained/tied to small individual houses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by