East Africa Homestead

Paul McWhorter

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
We happily had a homestead in West Texas for the last 15 years, where we maintained a flock of 35 Red Star chickens. We loved the place and loved the chickens, but now have started our new adventure by moving to East Africa. We live a few miles from the equator on the shore of the Nile River. We have a 5 acre homestead and have established our organic gardens, fruit and nut trees, banana plantation, and are now working on getting some milk cows, and getting our chickens going. We are serving here as missionaries, and want to live a sustainable lifestyle, so would like to grow most of what we eat. Looking forward to learning how to make chickens thrive in this unique environment. I have been reading this forum for years, but just joined up today.

:frow Welcome from New Orleans, what an exciting adventure you have begun. You will have to start a thread and keep us posted on how things are going for you. We also would like to hear about cultural differences, how your garden and trees are going, any other animals you aquire and how that works. Would you mind telling us about the climate and how you are dealing with the animals with regard to the heat.
I have lots of questions and hope you start a thread, almost like a diary for people you don't know. :lau:lau:hugs
we are here for any question you may have and can call on people who are very knowledgable about most anything you may have questions about.
What predators are you dealing with and how do you plan on building your coop?
Good luck and hope to hear from you soon. :frow

Welcome to BYC @Paul McWhorter

now have started our new adventure by moving to East Africa. We live a few miles from the equator on the shore of the Nile River. We have a 5 acre homestead and have established our organic gardens, fruit and nut trees, banana plantation, and are now working on getting some milk cows, and getting our chickens going.

How exciting! I hope you will be able to settle in nicely.

Whishing you all the best for your new adventure!

9D53E65C-335B-44D3-B9B2-6D72F7268163.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom