1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

East Coast Heat Wave!!! Sick Chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redsoxrule, Jul 6, 2010.

1. redsoxrule

redsoxrule In the Brooder

May 31, 2007
    Rockport,MA
    We are expirencing a heat wave here on the east coast (85 @ 8:30 am). One chicken has already died and another is showing similar symptoms...she is either sick or (most likely) needs to be cooled down. Any ideas how we can do this in a simple yet affective way? PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    put frozen or semi frozen water bottles around for them to lie near. ice packs would work too.

good luck

3. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Take some plant saucers, a cookie tray, anything that is shallow and can hold some water. Put cool water in it, and then stand the chicken with her feet in the water. Feet are just about the only noninsulated part of the chicken's body so this will cool her off quickly. She may not like it at first, but hopefully she'll get the hang of it and learn to do this for herself.

Good luck!

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    it is hot hot hot hot out here (NY) and SO humid. I have a fan and shade in the run and I have been throwing out into the coop watermelon, melons, frozen strawberries and any frozen veggies we don't need plus there are pans of water and I've got my two liter bottles freezing. Bleh, I hate heat!

5. mconro

mconro In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    We recently had the same type of weather in Minnesota! If it is possible, spray water on the coop roof. The evaprating water will cool the inside of the coop. Sounds crazy but it does work. Also, have the fans blowing IN the coop.

Good luck!

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    One of my silkies recently got heat stroke and dehydration, she was laying on her side. I held her bottom half in some almost warmish water, and brought her in the house, gave her electrolytes. I kept her in for 2 days, she was improved, so I put her out at night with the rest for a few days. She recovered. Now they all get ice in their water.

7. Hockeychick

Hockeychick Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    Warren County, NJ
    My husband dug a 'pond' or actually a trench in the corner of the run, which is unfortunately in the sun. We have a hose on low putting fresh cool water in the trench, and the water drains on the other side. It is a few inches deep with rocks on the bottom. They love standing in it and drinking the water. We have a deep pond nearby that we run the hose through to keep it cool. I am just so worried about them today since I am at work and it will reach the upper 90's. A neighbor will check on them later. I told her that if they don't look too good, let them out. I am hoping that it is too hot for predators too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by