East Indie Male Duck Anatomy Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Treeva, May 9, 2011.

1. Treeva

Treeva Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    OK I have an odd question...so here it goes. I picked up a mating pair of East Indie ducks about a month ago for a friend of ours. My son is planning on showing them in 4H at the County Fair this year and they live at her house. Anyways, they are very sweet and we generally get to see them once a week. As a testament to the person we purchased them from at a Fur & Feather Swap, they were obviously handled and are pretty easy to pick up and hold. So we were picking up the boy yesterday and noticed something that we thought was odd on his boy part anatomy (but not knowing much - well pretty much nothing about ducks etc - maybe it is normal). His penis was hanging down and seemed to have a ball towards the bottom of it which was full of feces and then beyond that ball thing there was another little piece. We tried to wash the area down and it seems like something is lodged up in there. But again, maybe this is how their anatomy looks. He seems to be drinking (we weren't there long enough to see if he was eating) and fine otherwise, but I just think this looked odd. Can anyone tell me what might be going on if anything....

Thanks (sorry for the odd question), I'm worried about him,
    Mary

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I've never seen anything like that on my ducks, but I really am not sure what is going on with your drake. Hope someone else has an idea.

3. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    No clue what that is but it sounds like it isn't good. I dont think it should be hanging out at all. (althoug I've never had drakes so I don't know. too much) If you don't get some answers soon a trip to the vet may be in order.

Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by