East Indies Egg Color?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wbruder17, Feb 18, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have 2 East Indies ducks. They are not show qualith, as one has a lot of white on her chest.

I have been finding 2 different eggs around the pen, stashed and hidden in random places. The ducks and chickens are kept together.

One egg is large, and whitish gray, and I thought it was a duck egg, but its fertile, so I'm thinking its a Wyandotte that's egg changed color after her molt, as I've seen her huffing and puffing in places where I later find an egg. I don't know why she's decided to start laying in the run instead of the nest, but whatever floats her boat.

The other eggs are green. I swear they are from one of my EEs, but my dh is convinced they are duck eggs, because the shell and membrane are so thick and tough. All my birds get oyster shell, so all of their shells are thicker than usual.

What's the deal? What color egg should I be looking for from the ducks? And would they be laying yet? They are about 8 or 9 months old. I know they won't lay in the coop, but I'm almost positive the green eggs are from an EE and the other COULD be duck, but I don't see how it would be fertile as I don't have any males.

2. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thanks. I DO see a green egg there. Hmmm. Still hard to tell, as the whitish gray eggs I've found that look like the ones in that carton are fertile! This is the stumper. Plus, I've found those same eggs in the nest bbox as well, and I KNOW the ducks don't go in there.

4. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

You're positive of their sexes?

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    No, but don't the males have that curled butt tail feather? These don't have a curled feather and I was told they were females, not like that makes much difference, really.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by