East TN - FREE Chicks Spring 2010

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by DawnSuiter, Sep 2, 2009.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

FREE!!!!
    [​IMG]
    I'm looking for someone to take my culls next spring. I'm talking about around 100 rosecomb chicks, and I want them in their new homes within a week of being born.

If anyone semi local is interested, please let me know.

I will be making a short list of folks to benefit from my culls, first come first served.

They are Buff OrpingtonXGold Lace Wyandottes
    They may look buff, or may have an assortment of black markings on buff feathers. For Instance:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Update:
    Ok.. here is the hatch schedule for my spring culls.... the free rosecomb chickens near NEWPORT, TN.

I will consider in state shipping for Clutchs 3 & 4 and 5 if your willing to take that chance (hatching on a Thursday), but I'd rather have a local for that one.
    You'll have to pay for shipping & the boxes.. I do not know any prices on this as I have never done it.

There could be from 15-30 chicks per clutch available. You'll have to take them all from each group. If your a local pickup and want more than 1 bunch, I can keep one group for you until the next group hatches so you can pick them all up at once.

Hatch Dates:
    Clutch 1 - March 7 - Reserved Pickup
    Clutch 2 - March 22 - Reserved Pickup
    Clutch 3 - April 6 - Reserved Shipping/Backup Pickup
    Clutch 4 - April 21 - Reserved Shipping/Backup Pickup
    Clutch 5 - May 6 - Reserved Local

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I will take the next set

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i would be interested in some if you could ship?

4. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I am interested in the the next one depending on the shipping to NH.

5. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I would be interested and I travel that way quiet often, I do not live far from SportTees and I saw she was also interested. I'm sure we could help you out. Keep us on the list.

6. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    I'll take a set. I'm in Grainger County, so its no problem for me to pick up.

7. DawnSuiter

Thank you SO MUCH everyone for your responses!

I have already reserved each hatch with at least 1 individual. If ANY of them fall through, I'll contact those willing to do a local pickup first, then check with those of you who would like them shipped.

Thanks again for your interest! [​IMG]

This allows me to hatch out as many as I want now for next year.

8. football

football Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    northern colorado
    hi, I'm a little new to this, I don't completely understand why you are giving these chicks away.
    Is it because you hatch the eggs & those that don't sell you give away? Or because you get others when you want a specific sex for filling orders? People's orders falling through?
    just wondering:)
    thanks,
    ashlee

9. DawnSuiter

Quote:Hi Ashlee, I'll be happy to explain it to you.
    I'm working on a color project... making some orpingtons have gold laced feathers, which they currently do NOT have. In order to do this, I had to cross two different kinds of birds, orpingtons and wyandottes (was what I chose to try this with). Now there are some significant differences in those breeds, but are close enough for a good start.

When I made the first cross of the two breeds, basically all the chicks look the same as one another, this is due to genetic stuff that gets really complicated (even I still don't get it all)
    BUT.. when I start crossing those chicks as they grow up with one another, they will begin to produce a variety of different chicks.
    From that 2nd generation, I am looking only for a couple of types of chicks.. in my case, I'm looking for chick down & stripes and for chicks with a single comb. But this generation will produce about 50% chicks with rose combs. So... since I'm doing a project, I want to have as many babies of my own to choose from later on down the road when I create the 3rd generation... so I want to keep about 50 females for my project.

But remember that 50% of what I hatch is going to be with the wrong comb... and then 50% overall will be boys. Obviously I need a bunch of girls..

SOOOO... I am going to try to hatch around 200 eggs, assuming 50% of them have the wrong comb & color, that leaves me with about 100 to choose from more thoroughly... if half are boys... then in the end.. I have 50 hens to choose from and a slew of boys, of which I'll only keep 6.

Its a numbers game.. and I do NOT have the space to rear 200 chicks.. nor keep them.. 100 I could swing. Plus if I feel space is tight I can always pack up a few more each clutch to give away.
    The reason I'm GIVING them away is because to me.. it's worth it. I can't keep them, I don't want to feed them, I don't want to butcher them. So if I can't find folks who will take them all right away, then I can't move on with my project!

I win, they win.. we all win! [​IMG]

I go into lots of detail on my project on my website if you want to visit it.

Hope that helps you understand a bit more.
    And welcome to chickens.. they can be very addictive.
    I currently have around 75 chickens on the property.. a year or so ago I started with 7 [​IMG]

10. football

football Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    northern colorado
    It sounds great, If you could figure out how much shipping I would appriciate that. I planned to have my hens raise ordered chicks in the springso I'm worried about my hens not being broody at the right time so a little nervous about saying 'yes'.
    thanks for the info,
    ashlee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by