East TN - Need butchering buddy(ies)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DawnSuiter, Oct 14, 2009.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't want to do it all on my own. I read the posts for those who do but it takes too long, and it's too lonely. Anyone near me butcher extra roos or do a meat bird season?

I have a few guys right now ready to go anytime... just hate being out there half a day alone, and it's a LOT of work too!!! Seems like some company would be so much better! PC's butchering party always looks like so much fun!

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Dawn,
    Obviously, I am no where near you, but why don't you try butchering 2-3 every couple of days. It is SO doable that way. My mom and I usually skip the scalding and plucking and go for skinning them out. We usually use just chicken parts any way. We boil the backs and necks for broth and pick the bones for use in casseroles.

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the tip...
    Last time I butchered 2 by myself... it took about 3 hours for me and I do skin them... plucking is such a bother and we don't eat skinned chicken anyway so it only makes sense. A good knife would make the process quicker I'm sure

But still.. it's lonely and would probably be more fun, plus I might learn something if I had a buddy

won't you please.... oh won't you please... please won't you be... my butchering buddy [​IMG]

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Too bad you're not closer! I raise Cornish X on my property for my neighbors and myself. Come processing time both families get together to do the deed. Some can't stand even the thought of hands-on processing so they get to be our cooks and go-fers for the day. My DH does the actual killing and gutting, "us girls" do the rest.

It really does make the day go faster and we manage to have some fun as well. We've had people ask us if they could come learn from us. Hopefully you'll find someone near you.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by