eastcoast chickens GB

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redmulp, Jan 7, 2017.

1. redmulp

redmulp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    Does any body know what this lump is on my chickens foot please.[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a photo of the whole chicken too?
    Does she have any other symptoms - limping, unable to walk, lethargic, etc.?
    How old is she and what do you feed her?
    Do you have vet care available?

You can try the standard treatment for foot/leg issues. Soaking the foot in Chlorhexidine, betadine or espsom salts bath.
    Then apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn.

You may want to have a vet take a look at it.

3. redmulp

Nov 14, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thank you for reply,

my chicken is a bantam, 2 years old she looks in good health and eating well but limping and holding foot up, looks in pain, this has been going on for weeks.

I give the foot a little wash in dettol water, dry it and apply scaly mite cream, I did this for a while, then applied savlon, and but antibacterial powder on, I treat foot every night

The scab did fall off,I bathed it in dettol water, applied a little savlon then sprayed it with spray plaster, but the scab was back next morning,

I cant afford to go to vets, it will cost me about £40,

, The scab is hard and black.

Help would be very much appreciated.

. thank you Helen

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Did she have it on both feet?

I really don't know what the cause is. It may be some type of infection on the foot. It sounds like your treatment plan is a good one, so you may want to continue with that, unless someone else has a better idea.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you see any dark spots on her footpads? She does look like she has lost a couple of toes in the past from either injury or frostbite. Bumblefoot can develop there between the toes, but that looks a little more like it is a cyst or an abscess. You are using good products so far (I had to look up the ingredients) and I might try soaking her feet and legs in some warm Epsom salts water daily. Magnesium sulfate is the chemical name for Epsom salts, in case it is different where you live. You could try to lance the scab and squeeze it to find out what might be inside, such as pus or blood. If you get only blood that might be a cyst or tumor, but an abscess should contain solid pus.

2 people like this.
  6. redmulp

Nov 14, 2014
    thank you, I am in Suffolk England, very little frost here.

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

:frow from Yorkshire!

Did the scab reform after it came away? Are you keeping your birds confined due to the avian influenza? If so how is the area you are keeping them in holding up?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by