eastcoast chickens GB

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redmulp, Jan 7, 2017.

1. redmulp

redmulp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    Does any body know what this lump is on my chickens foot please.[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I see that you have a duplicate post. How cold are your temperatures? Is the foot swollen? It possibly looks like an injury or infection, but it would be helpful to see the other foot and have more info. Look at both footpads to check her for small black spots or scabs.

3. redmulp

Nov 14, 2014
    ,no the foot is not swollen, the temperature is 10 degrees , she is a two year old bantam, and looks

healthy.[​IMG]this the other foot she lost a toe to scaly mite last year. I am using scaly mite cream and spray, i think the lump might be something to do with the scaly mite,.would appreciate your views

thanks HELEN

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    As I said in your other thread, I would soak the feet in warm Epsom salts water to soften the scab. Consider lancing it and try to squeeze out what might be inside. If it is solid pus it may be an abscess. If all you get is blood, it may be a cyst or just an injury. Inexpensive castor oil can be used to rub into the scales once a week to get rid of scaly leg mites. Both leg mites and freezing temperatures can lead to missing toes.

5. redmulp

Nov 14, 2014
    thanks for reply,

the scab fell off, the wound looks clean, but there is a horn like form in the middle of her foot upwards, not on bottom of foot,
    but over night the scab is forming again, I have been bathing it in a dettol solution then covering the foot in scaly mite cream, i will try your Epson salts,
    I wonder if the scaly mite have burroad under the skin ti make this swelling. any idea's please.

Helen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by