1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Chicks - colored chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickfever, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I've seen these for sell at Ideal. Min order is 25. Now, my questions are:

1. What do you do with them?
    2. Why would one need 25 of them?
    3. Does the dye hurt the chicks?
    4. Do they live long?
    5. What breed of chick are they?

Was just curious....

2. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    That's one of my beefs with Ideal.

3. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I'm guessing they're mostly orded by Groups (like pre-schools, churches, etc.) to give little kids at Easter. I bet a lot of them meet an unfortunate end, too.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Do they live long?

I'd bet not - not because the dye harms them but because most of them are probably 'adopted' by people who don't really want a big adult chicken, and whose kids are not-so-gentle with their little 'cute' toy.

5. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I love Ideal but I do not agree with the dyeing of chicks. Maybe if you could buy one or two at a time. That way more chicken people would do it. It would be neat to throw in a colored chicken into the coop for the kids to wake up to. But I don't want to throw in 25!! People buy these sweet chicks and don't know what to do with them. They are impulse buys. Pets should never be impulse buys!

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    from what i have heard the dye doesnt harm them. they just inject it into the yolk or something a week before hatching? also i doubt they use good laying hens like austrolops and RIRS. i am guessing they use cornishx or leghorns...

EDIT: my chicks were impulse buys...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    My daughter's friend saved one of those chicks at Easter time by buying it for a lousy dollar, brought it home, built a makeshift hutch for it, although not very sound. It lived til it was a young adult, he was trying to figure out if it was a pullet or a cockeral, I told him to check out this site, which he did, but at around the same time the poor chicken was attacked and eaten.

At least it had a pretty good life for a few months. I get really ticked off when I hear about how people get these chicks for their kids (sometimes brats) just for their amusement! Hey, they're creatures, and deserve better than that.

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    How DO they dye them - I just assumed they dipped them into dye when they hatch - injecting the yolk seems like too much work and too potentially harmful??

9. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
  10. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I read that they use Cornish Rocks. The man that works on my well adopted a few colored chicks this spring - for people that only want them for an Easter basket and not to keep, just buy the marshmallow kind! :mad:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by