Easter chicks sales ?

I wouldn't... BUT talked to someone on here just today who started her flock (and addiction) with 2 little PINK Easter chicks. So. who knows?
idunno.gif

I started my flock with 4 dyed chicks. But having said that, I had wanted chickens for over a year before I actually bought them, and had built a hen house/coop a good 6 months before I actually bought the chicks. I didn't buy them as a cute disposable Easter gift. I just used the fact that I found them as the kick in the pants I needed to actually go buy the chicks I'd been wanting so long.

If I was in a position where I was actually hatching/selling chicks, I think I would really carefully screen buyers. I am afraid almost nobody would be good enough, so I'm not planning on hatching chickens to sell at this time.

I might be tempted to by a dyed easter chick i have 30 what's one more right
lol.png
but i don't think if i sold chicks i would knowingly sell to someone who wasn't planning raising them

This might be a good time for all of us to just check in with our local animal shelter and volunteer to take any unwanted birds off of their hands.

... forgot to say earlier... we ALWAYS got baby chicks at Easter time from the Dime Store when I was a kid! When they got too big, they went to live on my Aunt & Uncle's farm with her hens (because, they were always roos). They lived happily until time came for fall butchering (as a kid I wasn't aware of this last part). One really happy free-range Summer for those boys.

Last edited:
This might be a good time for all of us to just check in with our local animal shelter and volunteer to take any unwanted birds off of their hands

This. After easter, animal shelters are FLOODED with calls from people looking to get rid of their chicks/ducklings once they're not little and cute. Same goes for rabbits. If the shelter is cat/dog specific, they do not have the expertise or resources to accomodate such animals, so they typically turn them away to an unknown fate. Rabbits especially often are turned loose to fend for themselves. By having the contact number of someone they can refer such calls to, shelters workers aren't forced to simply say "no" and go through the rest of the day feeling lousy knowing that the poor animal has a very uncertain fate - and more important, the duck, chicken, or bunny winds up in a QUALIFIED home.​

A lot of folks run listings on CL, offering to take in unwanted impulse purchases. If you have the facilities, it's a great thing to do. (don't forget quarantine, though!)

I only sell grown birds this time of year.

I have some to sell but will not be selling until after Easter. I put too much time and love into the little ones for them to go to someone who just wants and Easter gift for a small child and knows nothing about raising chickens.

I was just having a similar conversation the other day with some friends, but we were talking about puppies at Christmas time.
The problem we realized was this - if you choose not to sell your own animals, the buyers that want those holiday pets will find somewhere else to buy, and can usually find them cheaper from an unethical breeder (which is clearly a bigger issue for dogs than chickens
roll.png
). I feel that the solution isn't to withhold the animals from sale (to the right buyers, anyways), but to sell them with as much information and resources as you can provide. Maybe if we help educate others in responsible ownership, we can either dissuade an impulse buyer from buying an animal in the first place, or make them a better owner for the future.

Back
Top Bottom