Easter Chicks...

while there is " some" risk involves with some of the diseases, kids hav a better chance of contracting salmonella from the very shopping carts their parents plop them into.
just think woman buying a leaking package of chicken, quickly wipes her hands on her trousers and then grabs the handle , off she goes, checks out, no one washes the carts after every use , the stores dont, how many people think to bring a small tube of hand sanitizer with them shopping?
little tommy ten fingers, has a leaky diaper, yep guess what, it isnt cleaned up after either,

I think going to the groceries is 10 times more dangerous for children than 2 or 3 chicks or ducks.

Children can be exposed to the bacteria by simply holding, cuddling, or kissing the birds.

That can be easily fixed by a.) not buying chicks or ducklings and b.) Parents not letting kids handle them. little kids have a tendency to squeeze little chicks because they don't know better.​

Quote:
That can be easily fixed by a.) not buying chicks or ducklings and b.) Parents not letting kids handle them. little kids have a tendency to squeeze little chicks because they don't know better.

Being a mom of three I gotta say that it depends on the child and the age of the child. Most little ones don't understand that they could hurt the chick. But still if we are talking about handling chicks they aren't dogs or cats and shouldn't be handled as such. And when you do handle them there's this real simple way deal with germs. It's called washing your hands. We have to after we've handled chicks just like we would after petting the dog or cat. As parents we have to make sure that they do. And faces if the kids decide to kiss the chick (not something I would encourage).

i have 3 kids and i only let my older two hold the chicks, but not grab at them or squeeze them. they also arent allowed to kiss them, and once they have touched them they muct wash their hands asap.
and my kids get sick from nasty shopping carts and consider them more hazardous to their health then my chicks lol.

I think anything that deters people from buying easter chicks as disposable pets is ok with me.
On the shopping cart thread I totally get grossed out when I see people handle meat and then just walk on. I actually pick up meat with the little bags provided and then invert the bag over the meat so I don't touch it (like a glove). I also do carry purrel and sanitizing wipes for shopping carts. I am not a germaphobe by any means but the cart handles are gross, gross gross!!! With 4 kids I don't need them or me sick with even a cold if I can help prevent it, much less a stomach bug or any other nasties on those carts.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom