Easter Disappointment.....agghhh!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 77horses, Apr 13, 2009.

  1. 77horses

    77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

    7,443
    11
    256
    Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Well we had a good Easter yesterday! [​IMG] Spent family time, ate candy, etc. And today I was so excited about coming back from school to munch on my chocolate bunny and some candy....but when I got home, ALL the plastic eggs that my younger siblings had collected yesterday were empty, laying on the floor! Our yellow Lab, Dawson, is sitting their wagging his tail, acting all innocent and cute. [​IMG] I rush into my bedroom, and sure enough, my chocolate bunny is gone! There was the package, laying on the floor. Ugh! [​IMG] I was so looking forward to it! I haven't had chocolate in a while and you know how it is when you crave something sweet. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I was soo mad at Dawson! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] He seemed happy, of course. [​IMG] But now I'm a little worried because he ate all that candy and chocolate is really bad for dogs, isn't it? [​IMG] After all, he did find out a way to open about 20+ plastic eggs and eat ALL the candy in them! [​IMG] He seems fine now.... [​IMG]

    But anyway, at least we have some left over that was in a box in the microwave, out of his reach. [​IMG] I'm just mad because my older sister left our bedroom door open before she left this morning! [​IMG] I forgive Dawson now...he knows he was wrong and has been being quiet and sad-looking, but after I told him it wasn't his fault(not really anyways...) he got all happy and gave me a wet lick on the face! [​IMG] [​IMG] I mean, how can he resist not to eat all that free candy and sweets??? [​IMG]
    Oh well. I'm still a little disappointed, but I'm just glad Dawson hasn't gotten really sick yet, and that he didn't eat all the candy!
     
  2. BellLisamo

    BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

    Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    chocolate is like poison to dogs. You should call your vet immediately



    eta: i wanted to make sure you called your vet, just to be sure, and didnt think about telling you how much chocolate would be bad... what size the dog is... and on and on. The vet would have told you all that. i just wanted you to call asap.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  3. debilorrah

    debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

    Keep your eye on him. My dog once ate about 4 lbs of fudge, and he was fine in the end, but pretty danged listless there for a bit.
     
  4. TillinWithMyPeeps

    TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

    Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Baking Chocolate is the worst, dark chocolate is next. Milk chocolate, which is probably what your bunny is made out of isn't that bad, although it should be avoided if possible. It certainly isn't poison, and, if he ate it yesterday and isn't sick today, he should be alright.

    How much did he eat?
     
  5. ksacres

    ksacres At Your Service

    4,230
    11
    231
    Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Chocolate poisening is cumulative. It's not really like "oh, Fido ate a chocolate chip and now he will die". It's more like "how much chocolate has Fido consumed in his life, and will this piece put him over the edge of tolerance?"

    I would call my vet and ask for the best course of action. If it hasn't been too long since he ate it, they may recommend giving something to induce vomiting or to "flush" his system.

    BTW: the danger is only from real chocolate. Artificially flavored candy isn't toxic to dogs (or at least no more toxic than it is to you [​IMG]).
     
  6. NancyDz

    NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Growing up my sister had made 12 dozen ch. chip cookies for a bake sale the next day.
    We woke up to every last cookie eaten by our Old English Sheepdog.. not even a crumb left!

    She was fine, laid around a bit but never threw up or anything. I know it's always said
    that it's so bad for dogs but I've had 3 different dogs eat chocolate and it's never affected them. I think a call to the vet is in order but if its already been a few hours since they ate it,
    chances are they will be fine.

    Good luck! And sorry bout your easter candy!

    Nancy
     
  7. Redfeathers

    Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I knew a chocolate lab (seriously) that ate a bunch and I mean a BUNCH of chocolate and was absolutely fine. It depends on the dog, weight, how much, what kind ect.

    If it has been within two hours since your dog ate the chocolate, your veterinarian will give your dog a medication to induce vomiting. After 2 hours it will have passed through the stomach and into the small intestine where it will all be absorbed by the body. At that point, inducing vomiting will not rid your dog of the toxin followed by repeated doses of activated charcoal to absorb any toxins.
    If your dog eats chocolate and shows signs of toxicity, he may need to be hospitalized for a time so that he can be observed and supportive therapy given for any symptoms he has. For instance, if he is having seizures, anti-convulsive medication will be given. The length of the hospitalization will depend on how much chocolate he ate, what symptoms he is showing, and the severity of the symptoms. Usually he will be kept until the theobromine has left his system. Theobromine has a half life of 7 ½ hours. That means that in 7 ½ hours from the time your dog eats chocolate, half the theobromine will have left his system. In another 7 ½ hours, half of that will be gone, and so on. Symptoms can last up to 72 hours.

    I would observe and see how he is doing. Don't panic or fret...just watch and make sure he is OK and take action if symptoms occur.
     
  8. toletiquesbysam

    toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    My Sisters dog Joey (beagle) used to do the same thing, and he never died from the chocolate! I had always heard the poison thing with chocolate and dogs but he managed to eat ALOT of chocolate in his lifetime and died of old age!
     
  9. Redfeathers

    Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Oh..and tell your sister that easter candy is half off at the store now and she OWES you big time. lol
     
  10. 77horses

    77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

    7,443
    11
    256
    Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Haha true! [​IMG] good idea! [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by