1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyMom, May 20, 2011.

1. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I am doing a reaserch project on easter ducklings, chicks, and rabbits. Does any one have any helpful information? Statistics would be much help, but anything will do!

Thanks!
    Emily

2. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    What exactly are you researching about these chickens, ducks, and rabbits? I could help you with the stats if you had raw data.

3. DuckyMom

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    The idea of this project is to discuss a problem in society, I chose people giving live animals as easter gifts. I would like to be able to better describe this problem.
    I don't know if that helps, but thank you [​IMG]

Emily

4. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Here is a link to the CDC's website about Easter chicks. Most of their information is about Salmonella:
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/easter_chicks.htm

And here is another website that talks about the reasons not to get easter ducks. Most of their information is about animal welfare and not disease risk. This page has a few other links, too, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.
    http://www.liveducks.com/gifts.html

5. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    You might want to look for some examples on craigslist. I've seen lots of postings both from people trying to get rid of Easter ducklings and people offering to take them in. Maybe search on the "all of craigslist" website to find them. Not really scientific but good examples. Also, I got my ducklings right before Easter, on a whim, from a feed store (was going to do chickens but the ducks won me over). However, I've had ducklings before so I knew about care, and all along I planned to keep them, so you can also point out that some people are responsible "Easter buyers." My bf and I were just discussing how feed stores should hand out pamphlets on duckling, chick, gosling, rabbit, etc. care. Someone just told me their ducklings drowned because they let it swim (not knowing ducklings shouldn't have access to swimming water for awhile). Okay I'm getting carried away- I do research for a living and, as you can probably tell, I love these kinds of projects! Good idea!

6. DuckyMom

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thank you so much! I didnt think about craigslist. I really appreceat all the help!

Emily

7. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I don't know how devoted to this project you are, but you could even stop by a Tractor Supply or other feed store that sells ducks and chickens and ask for their opinion on people buying animals for Easter. Some of those stores set really high minimum purchases so that you can't just waltz in and buy one duck or chicken... but then again, they probably make a lot of money from people buying Easter animals. A lot of the people who work at the feed stores don't actually know much about animal care, so they can actually make the situation worse sometimes. If you're up for conducting some interviews, I bet you could get a lot of interesting information and evidence there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by