Easter Egg / EE chick characteristics?

suburban farm girl

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
SF Bay Area
I am wondering if there are basic characteristics of EE's chicks - or if, because they can be a combination of (I think) any chicken with an Ameraucana there aren't any straight down the line characteristics?

If there are specific characteristics for all EE chicks, I would very much appreciate seeing a bulleted list. (My head is kind of spinning for all the things listed in other posts that make a chick NOT an Araucana or Ameraucana, and I've lost track of how to know you have an EE - as opposed to another breed.)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Quote:
That is exactly correct.

-Easter Eggers may have any plumage color or pattern
-Easter Eggers often have pea combs, but may also come with single combs or any other comb type
-Easter Eggers often lay a green or blue-ish egg, but may also lay brown, tan, or any other egg color
-The majority usually have beards/muffs, but quite a few do not
-A common leg color is green, but you may also get gray, pink, yellow, or any other leg color
-They are usually of medium size, but can be small or large, and they also come in a bantam form

In other words, an Easter Egger can be just about anything. I guess you could say that in a way, it's their lack of standardization that defines them.

I hope this helps!

-Anne

i asked around, and Penny the Chicken says that easter eggers are warm, friendly, intelligent, gorgeous, have great personalities, and lay tons of big green eggs!

(Penny is my avatar)

smile.png

And Penny is beautiful! She is a great poster child...er, poster chicken!

My EE's are only going on 7 weeks old but are very sweet and some do have tails and others don't. Some have ear tufts, others don't and some have muffs. They have been a great bunch of chicks and I never regret getting them. And the roo of the bunch is very sweet and out going, he is even crowing now.
Can't wait to see the surprise of egg colors I get from them.

Quote:
if I post pictures of my three 2 day old chicks, who the feed supply store said were Ameraucanas (and I knew from the info on this site would be EE's, since they came from a hatchery) would it be possible to say for sure that they're EE's? (I'm so confused by all the descriptions posted that I now think only one of them is an EE - and have no idea what the other two might be.) :eek:

You can post some pictures and questions in the "what breed and gender is this" topic and see what people can tell you. It can be really hard with EE but maybe they can identify them as other breeds. Those green legs really give the EE away. And sometimes with age it will be easier to tell.
Good luck!
frow.gif

Farm Girl,

If you post some pictures, I'd be happy to try to help you get a positive ID on them.
big_smile.png
Although, it is sometimes difficult when they are so young.

I thought the definition of an EE was a chicken that was NOT an Ameraucana and NOT an Auraucana, but that did carry the gene for blue/green eggs, which I believe is a dominant trait.

Susan

Back
Top Bottom