Easter egg! (Update-Picture!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bearfeet3, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Ok so I'm attempting to hatch out a seb goose. I started out with 2 but one never developed. On day 7 my incubator lost power for 12-14 hours!!! I plugged it back in and hoped for the best. The past couple days my bator has started stinking. I assumed the egg was rotten but weirdly it had no distinct smell at all. I've been candling everyday since it lost power and the egg has been growing darker...latley I've worried this was bacteria growing inside the egg. Well today I cleaned the incubator with a homemade cleaning concoction of vinegar lemon and water (I'm paranoid about chemicals so I dont like to use bleach.) Anyway I candled today and rested the egg on the flashlight and I finally saw movement! It was swimming around alive and well. If it goes all the way it should be hatching around the 12th of April! Easter Day! [​IMG]

UPDATE! DAY 16

I candled today and it's becoming difficult to see in there [​IMG] Anyone have any tips for candling goose eggs, the shell is so thick!

[​IMG]
    (dont mind the temprature, I'd just opened the incubator, its set to 37 deg cels. Also it's on the duck setting so theres 14 days left, not 12)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Congrats - I hope it hatches with no problems for you. Can't wait to see pictures of the little Easter egg!

3. bearfeet3

Mar 14, 2009
    Thank you. :]

I'm going to try to get some pictures tommorrow.

4. bearfeet3

Mar 14, 2009
    I just updated and anyone know a better way to candle goose eggs? I'm using a led flashlight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by