Easter Egger Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedDrgn, Dec 24, 2011.

1. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Our Easter Egger (Dragon) has always been one of the wiliest chickens in the flock; very active and generally nuts. Today, that changed.

While she's eating, drinking, and pooping normally, she seems to be exceptionally worn out. When we let them out to free range, she'd pick about with the others, but then suddenly stand still, puff up, and go to sleep (in the middle of the flock). She'd only really move to stain in proximity to the others, but then would go right back to snoozing while standing (sometime head under wing). I picked her up once and she snoozed under my arm, which is unheard of since she usually hates being handled. She went to roost about an hour before all of the others, too.

There is no other sign of illness and no evidence of injury. When she's moving, she's just as normal as can be, and everything seems alright. Then she just randomly conks out and did so all late afternoon/evening. The only thing going on in the flock is that we just got our very first egg from them this morning. We have no idea who laid it (guessing barred rock or the australorp), but they've all been squatting for a few weeks. Could Dragon's behavior be related? Do they ever seem inordinately tired when they come of age? This is our first flock of chickens, so we really have no idea.

If anyone has any ideas or possible explanations/ suggestions, all are welcome. We'll be keeping a close eye on her, either way.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you give her a good physical exam?

Crop? Mouth? Comb? Feet? Eyes & Nostrils?

Did you check her for lice or mites?

Can you take a pic of her for us?

3. RedDrgn

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yep, gave her a going over and couldn't find a thing. No parasites, no signs of illness; eyes, sinuses, nares all clean and normal. All physical appearances overall were 100% normal. It was just the random and excessive sleeping.

Here's a photo of her sleeping on the ramp to the coop, about 10 minutes before she went in, went up onto the roost, and went to sleep for the night. A few minutes ago when I checked on them, she was still on the roost and sleeping with the others like usual.
    [​IMG]

She just seemed like she was exhausted, but I don't know why. No one was bothering her through the day. Nothing happened that was out of the ordinary for any of them (except the egg layer)...I didn't hear any partying in the coop last night. Just don't know.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Winter time brings out the worst in animals. They are less active in the afternoon and more active in the morning. I suggest more vitamins in the water + Apple cider vinegar organic (health food store) (ACV) one of the things I do during the winter is offer warm treats in the morning and another warm treat at night. Proteins and better quality foods. Scrambled eggs in the morning or Hard Boiled Eggs with hot oatmeal. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits if possible. You need to check his Crop which is a pouch at the base of a chicken's neck that bulges after the bird has eaten and sometimes they eat feathers and other weird things and it may be impacted (filled up) and it makes them sick like you are explaining. They just do not feel right. Hold her and feel for lumps on each side of the crop in her neck above the breast and below the wattles.

I recommend this to every chicken owner I know

We made a very good friend over at the local farmers market and one in the produce department at the local super market here. We went and met the store manager and introduced ourselves as a regular customer and he said he recognizes us bc he sees our little grand baby and us in the store and in the deli department all the time where his office is and she gets cookie treats they offer the kids and parents as samples that were day old. We explained to him we raise chickens and laughed when we told him he lost our egg business but left him a 1/2 dozen to take home and told him to fry 2 eggs 1 of our day old fresh from the bird and 1 from his store touting farm fresh!! We said take them home and fry or cook them up and we would see him next week. Wow is all I can say he said!!!! His farm fresh we explained are over 20 days old by the time they make it to the store ours is today laid. We talked over an hour about the kids with him including showing him pictures. We then asked him if his produce manager, Ashley could provide some of the veggie scrapes and fruit scrapes that were ready to be rotated out and they actually go to the stores compost pile they have for the community. I told him we have a community garden that the 15 people that garden there have as a group and said not 1 leaf will be wasted because the compost it's for the 15 families it provides fertilizer for the garden we all eat fresh foods from. WE hooked him. So every week I get a commercial size load of fresh veggies and fruits for the girls and the community garden compost pile that goes all year round. Our winter vegetables we just planted. Good luck its a beautiful thing.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  5. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    Hmm. when u say normal poo i assume you mean solid with a white cap? The crop is indeed a good place to start. The best time to check for a blocked crop is first thing in the morning before they've eaten. They should have a full crop in the evening when they go to roost, and an empty one in the morning. There is also something called sour crop that you can detect by sniffing by the bird's beak. It will smell yeasty, if the bird has this, because the food is fermenting.You can also go in the coop at night and listen for mice. Sometimes that will keep them awake at night. Also when you're in there shine the perches, look for mites. you can touch the perches too and supposably if they're there they will crawl on you. Most mites are only on the bird at night and hide in cracks during the day. I think some kinds eat notches out of the feather. If you looked for lice, did you look at the butts of all the birds? This is where they like to hide, and sometimes it's overlooked. If one but is found, assume that they all have them. I'm not sure if you have freezing water where you are, but if you do make sure that she is getting water. I know with mine that sometimes the more aggressive girls will try to dominate the food or water and not share at all. then i boot them out and feed the others seperate. The only other thing i can think of that is nearly symptomless is worms. They pick them up from eating bugs, and even though they are supposed to get diarrea mine didn't. I thought all was well until i saw one [​IMG]

If you have a little cage or a place to put her i would isolate, in the event that this is something contagious. It is far easier to treat one bird than the whole bunch; It will also allow you to be 100% about her poo; Most illnesses will affect that and believe it or not there is actually a poop-chart somewhere on BYC .

Best of luck to you![​IMG] My girl that looks like yours likes to sunbathe; i'm hoping yours is just really liking the daytime heat and is resting.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  7. fuzzybutt love

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    i snagged these from another thread, thought they might be helpfull:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I have a girl that looks just like yours and does the exact same thing. Maybe it is a winter time thing... she is slow and doesnt really move and just sleeps all the time... If she is the only one in the coop when it is dark or if like no one is going up, then she will make this like crying sound. I think it also may be the stress of the new additions that we have.

9. RedDrgn

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yep, when I said we gave her a total once over, I meant everything. Her crop was good and no lice or mites anywhere. We even checked the other four out just as thoroughly to see if they possibly had anything going on. Not a darn thing to be found. And by normal poop, I did mean exactly that (except for those occasional ceacal poops which she is also producing normally, even if they are ghastly things [​IMG]). No worms either, we actually just had fecal samples from each of them analyzed by our vet about 3 weeks ago and they all came back clear.

Right now, they're all on a high protein feed because we switched them to that when they started molting in October. Now that they've started laying, they are also getting oyster shell. They get plenty of veggies, too, particularly squashes the past two months. Mixed grains scratch and mealworms are also given as snacks daily.

The coop is clean. All bedding material is changed out weekly and interior surfaces scrubbed down with soap and water. Once a month, they're scrubbed down with a bleach solution (and thoroughly rinsed and dried before re-occupation). No mites or evidence of other varmints to be found in the coop (or the run).

The day after I posted this, she behaved the exact same way. Yesterday, she was back to normal and was out running as usual all afternoon, going to roost with all the rest at dusk. Will have to see what she's up to when I get home today. Maybe she just had the Christmas blues. [​IMG] We're continuing to monitor, though...

Lovely girl Steve....I like the raptorish appearance of EEs colored like Ana and Dragon. I'm rather fond of the huge poofy beards, too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  10. fuzzybutt love

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    beards n butts for me too..... [​IMG] glad all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by