Easter Egger/Ameraucana hen or rooster?

MikaRoo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
how can you tell if a chick is a hen or a rooster? mine are 2 weeks old. i was told that they are ameraucanas from TSC(5 of them) and 1 i got form a local breeder. the other 2 are mixies of ameraucana and barred rock. is there anything i can see on them that would help me tell the difference?

i have been lucky to be able to tell by combs, and behavior (if given space to act naturaly and start to show some personality), at at least three weeks. the females, if you have both, will have a thinner shorter, starting to get slightly warped comb, while males will have straighter, taller thicker combs. course i havent raised up any of my rosecombs to that age, so only know works for common combed breeds. also males will start to spare, but female wil be over all dominant and eat and push in and be more our going especially to inspect food, while roos will hang back and let females eat after investigated. females are all round more aggressive also, despite said about roosters sparing. though i have one hen who crowed, and spared, and acted just like roo, but then she mo;ted out and started laying... lol so there are exceptions!

then i have one rosecomb roo, who will sit on the eggs, brood the chicks, and bring them and not just females food, as well as hardly and doesnt when does crow, do it loud at all. so yeah, exceptions... ive bred these two, hoping to get some interesting adult hens and hopefully only one roo (as if), out of the four of six chicks that made it.

Back
Top Bottom