Easter egger attacked by neighbors dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cncfogh, Mar 12, 2013.

1. cncfogh

cncfogh New Egg

Jul 4, 2012
    Santa Maria CA
    My easter egger Blanche (our hens are the golden girls) was attacked by our neighbors dog on Saturday. We took her to the vet that day and they stitched up her wounds and gave her antibiotics. She is now living in the house until she heals. She refuses her regular fed so I have been giving her yogurt with oats and scratch and mealworms dipped in electrolytes. She won't eat or drink on her own but will take it if I feed her and I have been dripping electrolyte water onto her beak so she gets some hydration. She can stand up and walk and wants to go outside with her buddies but obviously it is too soon for that. Our family is so devestated over this and really hope she makes it. These are our first chickens and I literally fell to the ground crying after I got the dog away from her. My 3 and 6 year old also saw this and are afraid to go in our back yard in case the dog comes back. Please any advice for saving our Blanche would be appreciated. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. cncfogh

cncfogh New Egg

Jul 4, 2012
    Santa Maria CA
    Anyone??? Advice?

3. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Hi! What do you need help with? I can't see your photos large right now (on a phone) but if your vet did a good job suturing the wound, you should just keep an eye on it and keep it clean. Watch for signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, red streaks, puss, etc. Remember that dogs tend to bruise birds a lot, too, and chicken bruising can turn dark and then green, which is not unusual.
    It sounds like you are doing your best for her. Keep her hydrated and fed and watch her. Once she is not feeling so terrible she will probably start to eat and drink again without your aid. Did your vet give you a painkiller for her? Chickens heal all the time without them, but if the vet gave you one it might help her appetite.

1 person likes this.
  4. cncfogh

cncfogh New Egg

Jul 4, 2012
    Santa Maria CA
    Thanks for your comment. I am just so worried about her. The vet did not give her a pain killer as she didn't want her moving around and tearing out her stitches. I am just so new to this and so scared for our girl.

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Try to keep things quiet and peaceful for her. If she is not used to people nearby, even our presence can be stressful when she is injured and in pain. If the wounds heal up cleanly you will be amazed at how well she will pull though! There are many inspiring threads here on the forums of how chickens have recovered from terrible injuries.
    If you are able to, take some time to learn body language and how she can tell you how she's feeling. Simple things like the color of her comb and her attitude can tell you a lot. Hang in there!

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I was just able to look at your photos better. Looking good! Do you know if the stitches are dissolving or non? Either way it might be a good idea to have the vet check in about 10 days time. :)

7. cncfogh

cncfogh New Egg

Jul 4, 2012
    Santa Maria CA
    She has a follow up visit in 12 days to remove the stitches. We are using a dog pee pads with a hole cut out for her head to protect the wound from her pecking at it.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    sounds like you are doing everything right! I'm sooo very sorry about your baby! i pray she gets better! I'm sure she will do fine under your Great care!

9. cncfogh

cncfogh New Egg

Jul 4, 2012
    Santa Maria CA
    Thank you both for the kind comments. I think I just needed reassurance that I was doing things right because I have never been through anything like this with the girls. Good news though is that the neighbor has fixed his fence and is willing to cover all the vet bills and things she needs to recover. Now if she can just make it through!

10. cncfogh

cncfogh New Egg

Jul 4, 2012
    Santa Maria CA
    [​IMG]
    Just wanted to update this story. It is 3 weeks later, Blanche is totally fine. She has been laying and has now been allowed to be with the others. She has to wear a little jean jacket thing I made for her to protect her back and missing feathers from the others but she is doing fantastic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by