Easter Egger Bantams Will They Lay First Eggs in Winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by itlog, Nov 21, 2013.

1. itlog

itlog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Zone 5, Midwest
    Hi, new member here. I have a flock of 3 Easter Egger Bantams from My Pet Chicken hatched on June 10. November 10 marked their 5th month.

Of course here in midwest sunrise is now at 630am and the sun is gone by 430PM. temps are in 40F and dipping into low 30F. Just wondering if anyone thinks I will get a first egg in the next few weeks or if I'll be waiting til Spring [​IMG].

Thought I could be patient but man I really want that first egg!

Also if anyone else has Easter Egger Bantams in the midwest, how often do they lay?

Here's a recent pic of my chooks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

From what I understand, the chickens will lay during the winter , but they slow down production. That's why you put a light in the coop to simulate day time. I'm not sure about yours cause they're not laying yet. I have standard EE that should be laying by Feb. I will be following your post to see what the eggsperts have to say about the situation.

3. gotpockets

gotpockets New Egg

Jul 9, 2013
    I can't say I have any idea, but I have a barred rock who is at almost 26 weeks now and she hasn't started laying yet, and other than having the red comb, she's not squatting or showing any interest in the nesting boxes. So I'm wondering the same thing as you at this point.

4. itlog

itlog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Zone 5, Midwest
    Update... After 28 wks one of my bantam Easter Eggers is now laying!!!! Very egg cited :) And the light blue egg doesn't disappoint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. gotpockets

gotpockets New Egg

Jul 9, 2013
    oh that's a beautiful egg! our barred rock finally started laying so now I'm hoping the others will follow suit soon :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by