Easter Egger beard feather picking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iheartMT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. iheartMT

iheartMT Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Montana
    I realize there are a ton of articles and threads about feather picking, but I’m wondering specifically about picking Easter Egger beard feathers. Both of my Easter Eggers have lost all their beard feathers under their beaks. I first noticed it on the darker colored one after being gone during Christmas. I started investigating and found no evidence of mites or lice so I suspected feather picking due to cold weather boredom, a lower protein layer food and stress. I recently added a new hen, who is doing great and integrating well, but obviously caused an uproar in their little community.

Last night while locking them up, I noticed the white EE trying to wipe her neck on the roosting bar. After scooping her up and taking a look, I discovered a good portion of her beard feathers missing as well. Again, I don’t see any evidence of mites or lice and they seem very healthy otherwise.

I switched to a higher protein feed, added a flock block (big hit!) and have been hanging apples to keep them occupied. I also added some features to their run to help with the boredom. This seemed to help a few weeks ago with the first gal, but now the other one has a naked neck. Any ideas from folks with EEs?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I don't have a EE I have silkies but to remedy the boredom try hanging a cabbage in the run . They really love it and it can help divert attention away from the feather picking. They stay busy pecking at the cabbage. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best. This is a great remedy to eliminate the boredom. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. iheartMT

iheartMT Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    Montana
    I hang apples in the run, which are a big hit (unless they're not a red delicious!), but haven't tried cabbage. I'll do that and see what happens. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by