1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Egger - Boy or Girl?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heath_elisha, Mar 15, 2012.

1. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    The "pullet" below is a 13 week old Easter Egger from Ideal Poultry. Of all 10 pullets received, this one has me questioning whether or not she is a she. Small pea comb and coloring suggest girl. But tail feathers are a little different then the other girls and they are iridescent green. "She" also has iridescent green on her shoulders. No other chicks from this batch have this. Thoughts please!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. coleridgedane

coleridgedane Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    I would compare his/her comb to the rest of the pullets. I find them hard to sex until they're about 3-mos-old...& then only by comparison.

3. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    So far this ones comb is not much different then the rest. The way "she" carries her tail seems to point more downward and a little to one side, rather then upright like the other hens. There is no real significant "red/mahagony" color to her either, that would indicate rooster. But the tail just seems different..... confusing me!!! [​IMG] I'm gonna go take another trip out to the coop and study them lol. Maybe I am missing something... maybe her comb is just a little bit larger... I don't know! lol

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's a pullet, males can't have her coloration due to genetics. Green feathers are just a side-effect of black feather genes, not indicative of gender. Remember that EEs arn't a breed, and can have whatever genetics the hatchery wants to throw in. You can get a hodgepodge of different types of birds in one group.

I would bet that she'll lay a nice green egg :)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

x2

6. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Looks like a pullet to me. Roosters have solid reddish colours on their shoulders. You'll have some nice green eggs! [​IMG]

7. heath_elisha

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Thank you all for your opinions! I was thinking about the whole genetic makeup too, but was not certain because the green is mainly in the tail, similar to roosters. Also, I learned that she may have a wry tail. First I have ever heard or seen of it- hope that it is nothing serious. She has the best coloration of all the pullets and it would stink if I would not be able to breed her. Oh well- we shall see! Thank you all again....

8. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana

I just got some EE glad to learn that little tidbit of info....I love BYC!

9. rvroman

rvroman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    What coloration? I am VERY new to this and don't quite understand what you mean? What color does a male have to be?

Thank you
    Rachel

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by