Easter Egger boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ali707, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    If I could tell these two apart OR find out for sure if they were Roosters or not, I would probably stop worrying about it all day everyday. Why worry? I know they are just chickens, but I really wanted the green eggs, and these two girlie/mans came to me from the local feel store sold as hens...... I don't really want to lose any of my chickens, but in town I can only have 3, and I already have 12. A Rooster could really cause me issues. The feed store sign said they were hatched August 23, so that would make these guys about 4 months old.

I hope these pictures are good enough to tell....... they wouldn't sit still for nothing! If you need other pics, just let me know. Thanks!
    I honestly can't tell them apart unless I am standing in front of them and they are next to each other so I am just going to label the pics by number.
    Pic #1
    [​IMG]
    Pic #2
    [​IMG]
    Pic #3 (while you are looking at this one, any comments on the black silkie as to the sex?)
    [​IMG]
    Pic #4
    [​IMG]
    Pic #5
    [​IMG]
    Pic #6
    [​IMG]
    Pic #7
    [​IMG]

It's just those back and tail feathers that are thowing me off. They both had a couple of slightly longer ones that seem to be missing now.

Thanks for any insight.

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    girls [​IMG] both pullets I am pretty sure

3. Ali707

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    Quote:Wow! That was fast. Thanks for your comments!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    100% girls goin' on there. [​IMG]

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Definantly ladies. Congratz! [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Girly birds! At four months the roos usually look rooish, and the color is usually different. You should have your green eggs in a few months!

7. Ali707

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX
    Thanks for the responses...... I tried to find Rooster Easter Egger pictures to compare to but given they are "mutts" it was really hard to tell.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    EEs are considered mutts by many, but there is a general type from the hatchery birds one can develop an eye for. But I meant roo characteristics in general--hackle and saddle feathers, larger comb, thicker legs and upright stance. EE roos are often pretty colorful and splashy looking. Your hens are a typical hen color.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

girls

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    This is an young EE roo. Do you see how his tail is bigger and how he holds himself differently. Plus his comb is bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does that help? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by