Easter-Egger changes it's egg color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kipper, Oct 25, 2010.

1. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it possible for a 18 month old hen to change the color of egg it lays?

I'm not talking about lightening at molt, but an EE changing from green to light brown.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I have 3 Easter Egger's myself and have never seen this, mine will lay a variety in the greenish shades though. I hope someone else can answer you! Good luck.

3. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Nope. That's a myth. Once they lay one color egg that's it. It doesnt change from egg to egg, only chicken to chicken.

4. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    The one I have laying now started out with her first egg being more olive color, and smallish. All consecutive eggs thereafter have been a lighter shade of green, and a bit larger than the first. She started at almost 22 weeks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    The one I have laying now started out with her first egg being more olive color, and smallish. All consecutive eggs thereafter have been a lighter shade of green, and a bit larger than the first. She started at almost 22 weeks

That's actually very common. They typically start out laying a darker shade, and they progressively get lighter as they age. They just don't go from having a blue base (olive/green) to having a white base (white/brown).

Hope this helps!​

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE will range from olive green to lighter blue....from the same EE. But never from blue-green to brown. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by