Easter Egger Chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fowlty Towers, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Fowlty Towers

Fowlty Towers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Space Coast, FL
    Me again...just posted about the silkie. We also adoped "Ava" (just over 3 weeks old) and was told it was an Easter Egger. From what I understand, they're somewhat of a mixed breed anyway, but it has a diffferent colored head than the rest of it's ginger body and very yellow legs. Any thoughts about it's ID and do you see any clues as to what sex it may be? THANKS!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    MMMM I dont see a beard-which is a sign of EE most of the time. I do see that comb really reddining so Im going to say roo too...That is a perdy baby though:)

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:#1 boy #2EE don't always have beards

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It could be an EE, but maybe not. It's head will be a different color when it's feathers come in.

Just had to say - your screen name made me smile. Maybe you should name the chick Basil if it's a roo.

5. Fowlty Towers

Fowlty Towers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Space Coast, FL
    Thanks everyone and Happy New Year! Here's some new pictures...at 3 months old. Roo or hen? (I don't see spurs forming (too young?) but the tail feathers seem to be curling) Easter Egger breed or mutt? Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Rooster and I'm leaning towards mutt, but it could be a "EE cross" ("normal" EE beard, green legs, etc. crossed with something else).

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I know EEs are usually mixes but these guys look like regular muttskies to me. I don't think I've ever seen EEs with yellow legs and no beards/puffy cheeks. [​IMG] I could be wrong; genetics are not my thing but those are kinda the trademarks of EEs.

*Edit: My page hasn't been altered in a while; my 3 EEs have pics on there (8 weeks at the time). You can't see the puffy cheeks very well but they are good examples of common EE types. I got them from MPC.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  8. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    The first pic looks like a Rooster but I dont think its a EE it has no beard;)

9. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a roo and it looks to be a mutt

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    barnyard mix roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by