Easter Egger Chicks: Pullets or Cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mybearsbaby, May 5, 2016.

1. Mybearsbaby

Mybearsbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Hi there! I am new here, and this is my very first thread post! After lurking a while, I finally decided to join the site and get involved in the boards. I currently have 5 Easter Eggers, one Black Copper Maran, and one Blue Silkie. My EEs are all straight run, except one that came supposedly sexed. They are around 6 weeks old now. What are your guesses as to their gender? I am looking for any telltale signs. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I am not certain that you have EE. EE should have pea combs - yours appear to have single combs. It's a bit early, but chick in pic # 5 (and several other pics I believe) is most likely a cockerel.

3. Mybearsbaby

May 4, 2016
    Thank you! I was under the impression that EEs could have any comb and be any color since they were a mixed breed? I have been doing lots of research but am still very much a newbie.

Really hoping they are EEs. We really were hoping for some blue or green eggs.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

If you got the birds from a hatchery, EE usually have pea combs. Folks breeding their own can use breeds like Legbars that have straight combs, so that can throw a wrench in the works. But I'm not seeing any classic hatchery EE signs, so you'll just have to see. The pea comb gene is closely linked to the blue egg gene, so that's why most hatchery EE have pea combs.

I do think you have two cockerels there. That would be par for a straight run batch.

5. Mybearsbaby

May 4, 2016

Thank you! I got them at a local feed store. ;) Guess we will wait it out and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by