Easter egger chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EvansMeXo, May 23, 2017.

1. EvansMeXo

EvansMeXo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    can anyone help me guess the age of these chicks?? The lady said they were a week old when I got them but that would make them 11 days old now and they seem to have a lot of feathers for that so I'm thinking they might be older? It's my first time with chickens, so they could be 11 days but I don't know, opinions are nice! The first one is duckling, she has maybe a wisp or two of tail feathers, no "shoulder" feathers and has her wing feathers

Attached Files:

2. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    The second is rosebud, she has her wing feathers, a bit more of tail feathers than duckling and I can see where her shoulder ones are coming but their not quite there yet

Attached Files:

3. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    The last one is hawk, she has the wing feathers, a good start on her tail feathers and some shoulder ones.. so what's everyone verdict?? Are they 11 days or older??

Attached Files:

4. graceupongrace

graceupongrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2017
    Central Washingtom
    I'm NO expert. It'll be interesting to hear what the more experienced ones say but it doesn't sound too far off to me. They grow so fast!

EvansMeXo likes this.
  5. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    I wasn't expecting it to be this fast! But with my silkies there's a 1-2 week age difference and the size difference between them is huge!

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    11 days sounds right, they look to be around 2 weeks.

EvansMeXo likes this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Keep in mind that Silkies are bantams, so unless your easter eggers are also bantam there will be a definite size disparity. Your chicks look to be the reported age based on feathering

EvansMeXo likes this.
  8. EvansMeXo

May 20, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Okay thanks! All the Easter eggers look to be the same size just slightly different stages of feathering, 2 of my silkies are the same age and then the youngest of all 5 is pipsqueak the tiniest. I think he's roughly the same age as the Easter eggers but the EE are the same size as the older silkies.. I didn't realize silkies were so petite I only got them bc I was reading their good "kid" chickens and we have twin toddlers so their for them :) I think pipsqueak is the snuggliest of the bunch

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by