Easter egger chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wileyps1, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Wileyps1

Wileyps1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pennsdale, PA
    Hey all, is there any way you can tell a rooster from a pullet with EE's when they are couple day pld chicks?

2. Rooster61

Rooster61 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Can you post pictures? Kinda hard to say when we can't see [​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Probably not. Pretty hard to tell on the EE's especially the ones that have pea combs. I have Brahma chicks that are almost three weeks old and their pea combs haven't developed enough yet to tell.

4. Wileyps1

Wileyps1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pennsdale, PA
    no pics ....was kinda hopeing the was a way to tell when i go to get them, its gonna be a straight run to chose from. didnt wanna get all roosters, lol.....thanx anyways [​IMG]

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I saw a video once that showed sexing a chick by their wing feathers at a couple days old. The females will have the starts of little feathers rolling out at the tip of their wings at 3 days old and the roos will still be chick fuzz yet. Then I guess there is checking their vents too. Youtube. Youtube. Youtube. [​IMG]

6. hazeleyes

hazeleyes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    There a few good threads on here about that.Alot of them say that it has to be bred for feather sexing.
    You can't just use any ol chick to feather sex,those hatcheries breed a slow feathering breed to a fast feathering breed.
    I don't remember which male or female should be fast or slow feathering,but search and you shall find the facts.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The first post on this thread gives you the science behind red sex links, black sex links, and feather sexing, not the myths you often find on here. The parents do genetically have to be set up for any of these three methods to work. EE's are generally a mix so none of these will be any real help to you. Sorry!

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

I suggest first you look for active alert chicks. Do not choose chicks that are sort of fluffed up and just standing around. This has nothing to do with sex, just getting healthy chicks.

The characteristics that give you clear guidance for choosing sex just aren't there with freshly hatched chicks. For pullets, I'd look for chicks that are sort of bent over at the waste. Roosters generally have a more upright stance. If you can tell, I'd also go for the ones with skinnier legs. But it is not that easy and there are no guarantees. Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by