Easter egger cockerel over .....

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
Sorry, yet another what if ? thread.

I have received a request from an egg customer for hatching eggs, and she wants to know what the offspring may look like, and what color the eggs might be. I have NO idea what to tell her as, well, I have no clue what might happen. She is so impressed with the eating eggs, that she wants to hatch, and duplicate the colors of eggs I sell.

I have an EE cockerel, and SLW hens, Starlight Green egger pullets, Prairie Bluebell blue egger pullets, Barred Rock pullets, and Black Sexlink pullets, all from Hoovers, via Rural King.

Any advice would be appreciated. Here is a pic of yesterdays eggs.

IMG_7778 (3).JPG

OhZark Biddies

Crossing the Road
Apr 13, 2018
Sorry, yet another what if ? thread.

I have received a request from an egg customer for hatching eggs, and she wants to know what the offspring may look like, and what color the eggs might be. I have NO idea what to tell her as, well, I have no clue what might happen. She is so impressed with the eating eggs, that she wants to hatch, and duplicate the colors of eggs I sell.

I have an EE cockerel, and SLW hens, Starlight Green egger pullets, Prairie Bluebell blue egger pullets, Barred Rock pullets, and Black Sexlink pullets, all from Hoovers, via Rural King.

Any advice would be appreciated. Here is a pic of yesterdays eggs.

View attachment 2506154

the short answer is the results will be all over the board in terms of feather color...

the EE male could be “split” for just about everything genetically speaking, so there is probably no way to predict much of anything, particularly without even seeing a picture... even with a picture of him though it’s a guess at best

three of the hen varieties you mentioned are hybrids too, so that adds even more uncertainty... the barred rock will likely give barred males and black females...but all would probably be pretty barnyard mixes

Egg color would be a guess at best also, but a lot of greens and olives would be likely

Ceciliasflock

Songster
Nov 19, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
the short answer is the results will be all over the board in terms of feather color...

the EE male could be “split” for just about everything genetically speaking, so there is probably no way to predict much of anything, particularly without even seeing a picture... even with a picture of him though it’s a guess at best

three of the hen varieties you mentioned are hybrids too, so that adds even more uncertainty... the barred rock will likely give barred males and black females...but all would probably be pretty barnyard mixes

Egg color would be a guess at best also, but a lot of greens and olives would be likely
they are right :goodpost: with hybrids its is so hard to tell. Just be open and honest with your friend and tell them you don't really know and if they want a very specific color to seek out a hatchery and have them help. If they are fine with a barnyard mix of non-sex able chicks then your good!

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri

You can tell her that it's a surprise from an eggshell?

It'll be almost impossible to predict what the offspring will look like.

they are right :goodpost: with hybrids its is so hard to tell. Just be open and honest with your friend and tell them you don't really know and if they want a very specific color to seek out a hatchery and have them help. If they are fine with a barnyard mix of non-sex able chicks then your good!

Thank you for the replies. This is pretty much what I expected.

Top Bottom