Easter Egger color question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    My wife and I are thinking of adding an easter egger or two to the flock, to color up the egg basket [​IMG]

But she brought up a good question I don't think I've seen answered....does each EE hen lay differing colored eggs, or each one have it's own specific color that it will lay through it's life. How about EE's of the same batch? If we want better chances of different shades, should we get two EE's from different sources?

2. HarryBun12

HarryBun12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Each chicken will lay the same color egg throughout its life. Sometimes a lighter shade of that color, but you won't have a green egg layer laying a brown egg the next day. I think it's a gamble as to what color a chicken will end up laying. I have to say, though, that our EE is the sweetest most entertaining chicken we have. We lucked out and she lays gorgeous pale blue green eggs. We splurged and bought two true Ameraucanas this year and guess what egg color they lay? Gorgeous pale blue green.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by