Easter egger dud??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by myhenstory, Sep 13, 2016.

1. myhenstory

myhenstory New Egg

Nov 17, 2015
    We have a 1 year old black star and 3 young 24 week pullets (silver Wyandotte, golden Wyandotte and an Easter Egger). The young girls just started laying in the last week - all brown eggs - but we were only getting 3 per day, so I assumed the EE was the one not laying yet. Well, today I got 4 brown eggs...do I have a dud of an Easter egger?!?![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fluffyserama

Fluffyserama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    olympia, WA
    I've had pullets before who have laid two eggs a day at the very beginning of when they start to lay. If you only get two eggs tomorrow its a sign that one of the girls over worked herself. If you get 4 eggs multiple days in a row then its a good sign your EE lays brown

3. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    You could...

My first small flock of chickens I had ordered 1 easter egger she had a great personality, I was so excited for the green/ blue egg I was going to get...well it never came. It took me a while to figure out which egg she was laying, but one day I caught her it was light light creamy pinkish brown. [​IMG] It was still nice having that egg, just not as expected. In hindsight I should of ordered at least 3 easter eggers.

Now I have moved on to crested cream legbars, still waiting for them to lay....we shall see.....

You have beautiful eggs regardless.

Dom

4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought 6 EEs from different sources, since I read there's no guarantees on egg colors. The 4 I ordered from a catalog gave me 2 minty blue/green eggs, 1 green & 1 olive egg. The 2 younger ones (20 wks) that I thought was not laying yet gave me 2 very light pink eggs. So I guess there's really no guarantee on EEs since they're mutts.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

do you have a pic of your EE hen?

6. myhenstory

myhenstory New Egg

Nov 17, 2015
    Here she is!

[​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Just by looking at her, I believe your mystery is solved. You have a brown egg layer EE hen. She's a pretty gal. IMO, the straight comb tends to go along with brown eggs. Next time you get EE, get a few, and if you get them from a feed store, take a very close look at the combs. Look for a good pea comb, looks like a little row of peas, while a straight comb looks like a little row of points. Stay away from any pea combs that are wider, or look like 3 rows of peas, as they are more likely to be roos.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

EEs do not all lay pretty coloured eggs...As far as the combs size/type..I have never heard of that before?

Do not be too disappointed, Your still getting eggs..

Cheers!

9. myhenstory

myhenstory New Egg

Nov 17, 2015
    I did get her from a local store but I got her as a sexed peep. No way to tell comb at that age....?

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You can tell comb type in chicks...You just need to know what your looking for..

Still a nice bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by