1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Egger Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ChickenLuver101, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ChickenLuver101

ChickenLuver101 New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Hi so I'm not really used to doing this but I'm really curious. My Mom bought me 3 Easter Egger chicks from on here for my Birthday and I'm just curious but, do they really lay red/green/blue eggs? I'm sapposed to get the chicks on the 14th of March and I was also wonder whats the best type of home to keep the chicks in. Like a hamster cage or a card board box or what? Thanks for the answers :)

-ChickenLuver101

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hi and [​IMG]

Easter Eggers are chickens who have inherited the green egg gene. That means that you are most likely to get greenish or bluish eggs. And each chicken only lays one color of egg. So, if the chicken lays a greenish egg, you will always get a greenish egg from that chicken.

Here's a link from The Learning Center that has some great information on how to raise your chicks. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG]

They lay pink, not red, and blue or green eggs. You can keep them in a cardboard box or really anything but they need a heat lamp above them to keep them warm. If you go to the learning center at the top of the board or go to Raising baby chicks area and you'll find lots of information that you'll need.
    I suggest you edit this post and delete your age for safety reasons.
    Good luck with your new babies! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You could even use a large Sterilite tube. Let some make a frame out of 2x4 or 3x2 wood and put some chicken wire or hardware cloth over it. You can get a heat lamp at Walmart, think they would be called shop lamps there. Make sure the tamp on chick level is about 90-95Fish and you got plenty of bedding in there. You got time to read up on on all the basics before the chicks arrive.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    A large 50 gal plastic tote will do very well! So will a half of refigerator box or washer box from home improvement store.

My hubby got the best brooder, from work, a pallet on bottom with thin panels, lightweight and easy to push around. it was a packing crate.

6. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    I have a easter egger and this is what she lays

[​IMG]

The blue egg in there is hers don't be surprised if you get a few double yokers I got this when they first started to lay. I have Isa brones and a few mutt chickens

Rhayden

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    The egg shell is not really pink, it is just another shade of brown. I get a pinkish (brown) egg from my Dark Cornish.
    All of my EE's lay blue or green eggs, I did haave one that layed a cream colored egg (another shade of brown).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by