Easter egger final feather color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amartinlb, Mar 26, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    I have to choose which easter egger pullets to keep, besides personality when do they show final color as I would like to keep ones with pretty color feathers? I have 4 week olds, two are chipmunk, two are dark, one dark with very dark head, and one gray blue with extremely slow feather growth - way behind the others, just wing tip growth and the rest still down- maybe a roo? I really like the ee with yellow in feathers, none seen yet. [​IMG]

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

I used to live near Long Branch.

It sounds like you may not have a golden feathered EE. I would wait until they are at least 8 weeks. I have one, if you look on my byc webpage and she is just the prettiest sweetest little thing. I have her in with a blue ameraucana and hoping for some more like her, but not sure I'll get any.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I dont agree. My EE's that were sort of the lavernery gray color and slow to feather are so golden colored right now, now that theyre fethered out, where as the really bright chipmunk colored ones, and the brown ones are darker.

I bet those gray slow ones will be gold.

4. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Solsken Farm - beautiful chickens -

I have some cuckoo maran chicks also, 2 weeks. Are they friendly/calm as they get older? My chicks run around so fast they are hard to catch!

Also the rate of tale growth same age chicks all different . Not much happening to one that is 1 1/2 inches long all ready.

Combs - none red or pink but the slow feathering blue has a little more noticible one.

It will be fun to see what they turn out - wish I had been able to get one that had white to begin with they look pretty.

Does the yellow on a chipmunk head stay light or go away? [​IMG]

5. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:here's my super bright chipmunk chick as a few days old, the chicks on the left are also EE's

[​IMG]

This is that same chick all feathered out... really really dark!

[​IMG]

this is how gold my darker ones are turning..

[​IMG]

i dont know if those colors are really what the EEers consider to be golden... but i thin ktheyre pretty dark gold... lol.

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The challenge with EEs is they aren't predictable. They don't conform to a standard. But that is the fun too! Chipmunk markings don't indicate color. The down does though. So with Amos' chick, you can see the goldish yellowish down. So of course that would feather out light gold. You didn't indicate yours had goldish down or feathers. My grays feathered in gray with a touch of gold, but mostly gray. My chipmunky ones turned into reddish or browns. Post a pic so we can see.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I have photos on my BYC page that shows my 3 EEs at 2 weeks, 7-8 weeks, 15, 19, & 22 weeks of age.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19548-from-chicks-to-pullets-to-hens

Two of them were fairly predictable in the feather patterns, but the third (Pippin), changed a lot between 15 & 19 weeks of age. She looked nothing like the others, even at 15 weeks old, but now her coloring is almost identical to Cleopatra's.

[​IMG]

She's the one I always thought would be a roo and didn't know she was a pullet for sure until she was about 16-17 weeks old. She's still a lot bigger than the other two and laid her first egg at 22 weeks (last week). She lays olive colored eggs and her 4th one was HUGE (probably a double yolker).

8. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] somehow, everybody who gets buff EE's, one gets named Cleo or Cleopatra.
    I'm different, mine's name is Clio. As in the muse of history (i think, might have been drama)

9. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:I bet thats what my dark EE will look like.. those gals are gorgeous!! I hope mine turn out so pretty...

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:My kids named ours - Cleopatra got her name because of her heavy eyeliner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by