1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easter Egger FINALLY laid an egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melodie_a, Dec 26, 2010.

1. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I was begining to think she would NEVER lay an egg but our easter egger Ginger finally laid her first egg today and it is a beautiful mint green! We were so proud of her![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

She was such a hateful bird for so long and all of a sudden she got so much friendlier, I had a feeling she was close to laying and now this... such a cute little egg! The other eggs in the pic are from our Red-sex link Honeybun, she is such a trooper 1 egg for three days in a row and then 1 day off consistantly ever since her first egg. The winter hasn't even phased her!

[​IMG]

2. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Ooohhh very pretty!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Very nice! Congrats!

4. melodie_a

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Thanks! I am already hoping for another one tomorrow!

5. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i know!! finally my 3 have been giving us beautiful eggs for the last 2 weeks. the best part is they are all a different shade of green - 1 is light olive, 1 mint and 1 very light blue/grn.

[​IMG]

this pic is from wed. the flash kind of ruins the color of the EE's but you can still tell they are different shades and i love my BR with the speckled egg - every few days we get a speckled one!!

6. veritas2787

veritas2787 New Egg

May 15, 2010
    My EEs lay white eggs - every day even in this blizzard we are having, but no colored eggs...Anyone know if they ever will?

7. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    Quote:whatever color they lay, is the color they'll have for life.....unless you have a Marans, where their eggs get continually lighter throughout the egg cycle (before each moult). i wouldn't mind a white EE layer at all. sounds strange, i know. but i would actually like to have a white egg layer, but every single white egg layer that i've researched seems flighty and noisy. i wanted a white leghorn, but i'm afraid to try it since i'm an illegal chicken owner. can't have any loud flying birds in my backyard.

8. melodie_a

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    oooh yours are very pretty! I love the color variation. I want to get a blue egg layer at some point. Gingers is a very pale mint green, really pretty but it is very difficult to get true color on the camera. My camera is acting up right now and the sensor apparantly needs to be cleaned since I have a shadow spot on all my pics. Just what I needed when we get a beautiful snow to take pictures of! Grrrr.

9. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    thank you thank you [​IMG] yours are very pretty too!! [​IMG] so nice to get colored eggs!! [​IMG] how many chickens do you have?

i know the camera just does not get the color very good [​IMG] or i just have not figured it out yet...
    i got so lucky with my 3 girls - all colored eggs - different shades!! [​IMG]

chkinut: i do have a white leghorn too and she is not at all loud - my game hen makes all the noise!! [​IMG]
    "whitey" was giving me a bit of trouble going back in the coop at night..she stayed out a few nights [​IMG] the 3rd night the cat found her and chased her out in the pouring rain and i was out with the flashlight - oh but the next day you should have seen here - what a night she had - so dirty - wet and just plain horrible she was not whitey any more! [​IMG] - i did feel bad, but it was her own fault. so that night i watched her sneak off under the brush... and grabbed her!! she spent a long few weeks in - no free ranging for her! [​IMG] well she learned her lesson and now goes back in with everyone else...the game hen is another story [​IMG]

10. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I've been there! My first chicken Morbo scared me because she was 10 months old with no eggs. That was until I cleaned my dog's kennel and found it full of cracked eggshells.......smelly..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by