Easter Egger Gender Ideas?

Rabes87

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm a new chicken owner and recently adopted 5 Silkie and 2 Easter Egger chicks from a family member. While the gender of the Silkies are now obvious (2 cockerels, 3 pullets), I'm a bit lost regarding the Easter Eggers. I was told they were 4 weeks old when I adopted them, so they're 3 months old now. Their combs look to be about the same size and color (relatively small and pale pink). They do have brown on their wings as well, but it doesn't look red (not yet at least). While they are both flighty, the black and gray one is extremely skiddish. They are not aggressive or bold in the slightest, gentle with the silkie pullets, and have never tried to peck, stomp or dance like the other cockerels do. They also stick with the silkie pullets, as you can see in the bottom picture. Any help would be much appreciated.
Easter Egger 1.jpg
Easter Egger 2.jpg
Easter Egger 3.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I'm a new chicken owner and recently adopted 5 Silkie and 2 Easter Egger chicks from a family member. While the gender of the Silkies are now obvious (2 cockerels, 3 pullets), I'm a bit lost regarding the Easter Eggers. I was told they were 4 weeks old when I adopted them, so they're 3 months old now. Their combs look to be about the same size and color (relatively small and pale pink). They do have brown on their wings as well, but it doesn't look red (not yet at least). While they are both flighty, the black and gray one is extremely skiddish. They are not aggressive or bold in the slightest, gentle with the silkie pullets, and have never tried to peck, stomp or dance like the other cockerels do. They also stick with the silkie pullets, as you can see in the bottom picture. Any help would be much appreciated. View attachment 2739659View attachment 2739660View attachment 2739664
Pullets

Hello everyone. I'm a new chicken owner and recently adopted 5 Silkie and 2 Easter Egger chicks from a family member. While the gender of the Silkies are now obvious (2 cockerels, 3 pullets), I'm a bit lost regarding the Easter Eggers. I was told they were 4 weeks old when I adopted them, so they're 3 months old now. Their combs look to be about the same size and color (relatively small and pale pink). They do have brown on their wings as well, but it doesn't look red (not yet at least). While they are both flighty, the black and gray one is extremely skiddish. They are not aggressive or bold in the slightest, gentle with the silkie pullets, and have never tried to peck, stomp or dance like the other cockerels do. They also stick with the silkie pullets, as you can see in the bottom picture. Any help would be much appreciated. View attachment 2739659View attachment 2739660View attachment 2739664
They appear to be pullets, & your silkies aren't Silkie, they're Satins, or possible mixes.

Thank you very much for the replies! I'm glad to hear they look like pullets. We have the two cockerels already, and would hate to have to rehome some of them. We're already looking into buying some Silkies to make sure we have enough pullets.

Sorry, I should have clarified. My "silkies" were bred from my mother-in-laws ISA Brown hens and her Silkie Rooster. We just refer to them as Silkies because it's shorter. My apologies :)

I am voting cockerel for now on the light grey one in the first 2 pics, because I think I am seeing pointed hackle feathers. But of course time will tell!

I am voting cockerel for now on the light grey one in the first 2 pics, because I think I am seeing pointed hackle feathers. But of course time will tell!
By 3 months, there would be much more growth for a cockerel. The comb of that one is still yellow. This was our EE cockerel at only 8 weeks the second photo is him at 4 weeks…see that comb?

Attachments

• 67839D1B-018A-4B1E-8B47-4770FFBF3F4D.jpeg
    67839D1B-018A-4B1E-8B47-4770FFBF3F4D.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 105FC3F9-EE6C-4456-A544-3AC79C05C879.jpeg
    105FC3F9-EE6C-4456-A544-3AC79C05C879.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 59
Why does it bug me when people say they adopted a chicken? Like no u bought it or someone gave it to u, its not a human and honestly there should be a distinction between human children and livestock

Why does it bug me when people say they adopted a chicken? Like no u bought it or someone gave it to u, its not a human and honestly there should be a distinction between human children and livestock
You'll have to tell us why it bothers you. :hmm

My own feeling?

As far as 'honesty', all life has value.
Because someone chooses to apply the term to an animal, I can't see how their love, or where they give value, means they are cheapening or demeaning it regarding children.

According to Mirriam-Webster, 'adopting' means to take by choice into a relationship, also to sponsor the care and maintenance of. There is no denying taking on the care of animals should and must imply care, assuring welfare and health.

Feeling threatened or upset by other people's feelings or way of thinking can be exhausting and often fruitless.

Back
Top Bottom