Easter Egger gender: one of these things is not like the other

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ladyrsanti, Apr 20, 2012.

1. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    I have three, three-week-old Easter Eggers and I'm new to raising chickens. You guys are amazing at what you know. I can only hope to gain an ounce of your knowledge!

I read a dozen consecutive pages of posts on the informational thread about sexing Easter Eggers, only to be doubly uncertain. What I do know is that one of my EE's is completely different from the other two, in patterning and color somewhat but mostly shape and personality. So I'm fairly certain I have two pullets based on their round shape and blunt tails, but the third is keeping me guessing (and guessing *is* half the fun). The third, Chip or Chiparoo if it's a roo (same chick as avatar) is bigger, bolder, scragglier, sleeker, etc. So is she just ahead of the others or is she a he? See piccies below. I don't think I even need to label them, you'll know who I'm talking about. Again, they're only three weeks old. They don't have feathers on their heads yet and no discernible comb features either. What do you all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Could we get some side pics of them too? And comb pics? So far, from what I can see, the only suspicious one is the first. The other two have hen coloration, but side pictures would confirm that.

3. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    I bought two EE pullet chicks with the classic duckwing coloration, as in your last two. One clearly was faster to mature and more dominant/confident than the other (and dominant over the other chick breeds in the brooder as well), but she is 100% hen. You might just have a fast-maturing hen.

4. ladyrsanti

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    I hope that's the case!

5. ladyrsanti

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan

I tried but couldn't get any decent pictures today on account of the bad weather and it being so dark but if you guys both think it's a pullet then I trust you and will leave it at that. It's just an exceptionally unique chicken compared to the other two.

Thanks!

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    My 3 look like your 3 and one still keeps me guessing and its the same one that looks like your suspect lol

Rose
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ocean Blue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stella
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all three here look like pullets

OP ~ wait till they are at least 6 weeks or older then repost...when they have much more feathers in but for now all look like pullets

8. ladyrsanti

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Ooh, I definitely see the resemblance. What really throws me, I think, is that the "pointy feathers" are really just pointy patterns on round feathers. Well, that and the fact that she is so different from the other two (that might as well be twins if it weren't for one being gray and one brown). Time will tell!

9. ladyrsanti

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Managed a few photos of them this morning, just for fun. Sandy here (first pic), she flew right out of the brooder as soon as I opened it and landed on my hand that was holding their morning treat of chopped chickweed (causing me to spill it of course). So after their crops were full of swept-up greens, I pulled them aside for a photo session, quickly before my battery gave out. I couldn't get a decent side shot of Chip, who sat down immediately. I snapped a quick side-shot picture as she decided to fly back into the brooder but it's blurry because she's prepping to jump. Apparently the ruckus her siblings were making was too interesting to pass up. They all get the rips when the brooder is open. Rooster or not her colors are so vibrant, patterns so crisp and feathers so flowing and curvy compared to the other two. Her breast/neck is getting to be a rich and deep, rusty red. So beautiful! Sandy is still fairly uniformly gray and Honey looks like a little partridge. It's hard to believe that they're all from the same breed. No wonder it's so tricky to sex them. Between how friendly and inquisitive they are, I'm really enjoying them. Can't wait for the eggs!

Sandy
    [​IMG]

Honey
    [​IMG]

Chip
    [​IMG]

10. ladyrsanti

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    Okies, here we are at six weeks and they have nearly all their feathers, except in the cheeks. Sandy surprised me with that black head and upright tail where the other two are nearly always down. Honey still looks rather nondescript. Chip is getting a beard and still looks gorgeous. None of them wanted to cooperate for their photo shoot so I had to be patient and sit in the coop, getting my feet pecked at by the BR's and BO's. Any thoughts to their genders yet?

Sandy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by