Easter egger genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HeatherTheMommy, Apr 9, 2016.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I have 4 EE that are about 3 weeks old. I know it's to early to tell now but how will i know the genders? I know EE can be hard to tell. Ive also heard you can tell from the colors of their feathers?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are many clues that can help you guess, sometimes they are pretty straight forward, sometimes they are pretty nebulous. Often you can get conflicting clues. I’ll give you a link that talks about this in better detail than I will.

There are certain genetic combinations that may tell you by down or feather color but not a lot. Sometimes the parents have to be set up right genetically to create sex links, but unless you know that they are set up that way, you can’t be sure. Sometimes when they feather out the males have more color or certain colors in certain places, but again you need to know what you are dealing with to start with.

With experience you can on rare occasions tell a male chick at hatch by posture or appearance. They have a more upright posture and their legs are heavier. But this is very few males. Most males don’t have this and won’t start to develop these differences for weeks, some take months.

As that link says, often about five weeks certain traits start to stand out, especially the comb and wattles size and color. There are some other things too. But one problem with EE’s is that they often have a pea comb, or at least a part pea comb. With those it is more challenging to see this difference. All cockerels don’t show this difference at this age anyway. Some are really slow to develop.

There are some traits that don’t kick in until much later than five weeks. Saddle and hackle feathers on males become pointed while they are rounded on females. Male tail feathers curve down while female’s have straight tail feathers.

A big problem is that the males develop at different rates. It’s pretty common to be able to look at a chick and say without a doubt that is a male. It’s a lot harder to look at a chick and say that is a female. It’s possible with some but you just can’t be sure with some for quite a while. It gets easier with experience but even then it’s not always easy. I have an EE right now that at four months I thought it was a pullet, but then the tail feathers started curving down.

I suggest that you post some photos in a couple of weeks showing a close-up of the head so we can see the comb and wattles. A second photo showing a profile, body shape, posture, and especially the legs can be really helpful. But don’t be too surprised if you get differing opinions. That happens a lot.

How to sex chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by