Easter egger hen is lethargic and not eating

ChickConcierge

Chirping
Aug 29, 2019
Michigan
I have a four year old easteregger named Twix. She has been lethargic and not eating for about a week. She has no other symptoms except she spit out a little liquid this morning. I have 14 other chickens. All are fine except one who had similar symptoms about 2 weeks ago but is fine now. Twix does not seem to be coming around. She doesn’t have mites. Here’s a pic of her poop and a video.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• 87BF533C-95FF-4D89-8936-9ECF725CA793.jpeg
    87BF533C-95FF-4D89-8936-9ECF725CA793.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
From her tail down position, I would suspect that she may have a reproductive disorder, possibly internal laying/salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, or ascites (water belly.) I am not a vet, but these are common in older birds. Some use amoxicillin (Aqua Mox online or enrofloxacin )to treat infection, but unless it is an early infection, antibiotics may not help. I would try to keep her eating and drinking, and keep her comfortable. I have had to put hens down who had similar illness, and they can suffer crop impaction and sour crop if their digestion slows down. Worming her, if she hasn’t had that recently might help, but there may not be a lot you can do.

Thank you for your reply. I suspect the same. I’ll give a course of amoxicillin because it can’t really hurt. She was recently wormed so no issues there. I think you confirmed what I already suspected and truly appreciate the second opinion. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom