Easter Egger lays at what age?

BrianT

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
North FL
We've had ours for around 4 months and she was at least 2 months old when we we got her. No eggs. How can i tell when she is getting ready?

Quote:
It just depends on the birds- unfortunately I've had one go at 5 mos and another waited until the day before her first birthday.
hu.gif

Look for her comb to get really red, and she'll squat when you go to pet her.

My 4 Easter Eggers are at 22 1/2 weeks now, and no eggs. They don't really have combs or wattles at all, but my Barred Rocks(2) who are the exact same age have big red combs and wattles that flap around, and they haven't started laying either. Waiting the impossible wait...

We have 2 Easter Eggers that are currently about 24 1/2 weeks. Violet, the smaller one, started laying about 2 weeks ago and has been pretty regular - 1 a day. Mimi, the really big gal, was about a week later, and is also 1 a day. Interestingly, we have two Golden Laced Wyandottes with 1 (Bob) laying every day - she was the first at 21 weeks, the other (Hootie) hasn't started. Hootie has the red comb & all, and squats when pet, but no eggs from her yet.
It's been funny, 1 week a brown egg every day; then the next week, a brown & blue; the following week, a brown, blue & green. I keep waiting for a 4 egg day!

jumpy.gif

We have 2 EE hens (our roo is an EE too) and only one is laying so far. They are almost 26 wks... But a week ago we started getting a pretty blue egg about every day from one of our EE's. Hoping the other EE lays a pretty green one to round out the basket colors...

Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

54853_101_5000.jpg

With our first EEs, the two that layed blue eggs were about 5 months old; the green egg layer was 8 months old. But the green egg layer was more consistent in frequency, size and length of lay than the blue egg layers.

Samilitant - my EE's are 22 1/2 weeks also & I had the first blue egg TODAY!! "Hawker" stepped up to the plate to lead off the EE's - I think Ginger isn't far behind since she's been squatting lately too.

Quote:
COOOOOOL! I hope I get some blue or green eggs. Could you do me a favor? Can you take a picture of said EE that laid the egg? I'd like to see if the comb/wattle is developed at all, since mine look like they don't even have them. How many EE's do you have?

I'll get a picture of her up here soon. I have 4 EE's (I'm supposed to have 5, but I think there was a chick mix-up because no one else looks like an EE!) Their combs are just nobby things - not the big combs like the other breeds I have. Not much for wattles either. Dead give-away was that she was checking out the nest boxes a lot in the last week along with squatting and enjoying any affection we gave her....she has also been more vocal lately too. A lot of "talking"...not necessarily squaking or egg-song type stuff. More like a drawn out "braaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwk"
smile.png
smile.png

Quote:
This is good news. Molly is very quiet and kind of a loner. She has been a little more chatty recently. She is also spending a lot of time at the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom